Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 07:40 AM

Re: Do You Waste Precious Water?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Totally unnecessary TBH.

Just go to your local council website and order a garden water butt from there which will be pretty cheap.

It connects simply to an outside drainpipe from the roof and collects rainwater. Then you just use it to fill a watering can as and when needed.

Free water ! As nature intended.

I have one like this:

An added advantage is that this solution will double as a life saving water supply in the event of a national disaster where the water supply is shut off. You would use the rain water with a professional portable water filter and then boil the purified water as a belt n braces approach.

I actually think everyone should have a water butt just for that eventuality.
I have three very large water butts in my garden and also a very large container I call the dunkin' container cos it's big enough to dunk my watering cans in. No matter how many containers I have, which are all fed from the house roof, garage roof and greenhouse roof, I still run out of water after just a few days of hot weather and no rain. I have a very large garden which is full of flowers and shrubs. I never water the grass cos that will always bounce back eventually.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 07:51 AM

QUOTE=Cedronella;1176734]OMG I thought gardening was supposed to relax you. You tell me I could catch legionnaires disease from leaving water in the hosepipe and yesterday someone told me about Bioaerosols which are micro-organisms present in compost heaps and can be harmful if breathed in. I have three large compost heaps! (little boast there)

Last week my neighbour told me to be careful after I cut myself on my roses and hoped I was up to date with my tetanus Jab. Also Weil’s disease from rat urine. Where can you get those Biohazzard suits from. [/QUOTE]

Hi

Don't panic.

Legionella, you can only get it by droplet, not by drinking the water, a couple of seriously unlucky people have got it from breathing in water droplets whilst drinking.

It is very easy to avoid, just run the hose for a couple of minutes on full bore, this flushes the standing water in the house, and then put the hose on spray, do not spray as soon as you turn on the hose.

Legionella is bad stuff, not discovered until 1976, it cannot be treated with antibiotics and it can travel 6km on a windy day.

It is luckily, very rare.

Compost heaps, bioaerosols are really nasty things, full of all different kinds of spores.

Again you will be very unlucky to get infected in the garden, small volumes, loads of air around the heap.

If you are at all worried, just wet the compost heap before turning it.

Bioaerosols are a very serious issue in the big commercial composting plants where all the garden waste from your green bins goes.

These places handle hundreds and thousands of tonnes at a time and can release vast clouds of nasties, not something that happens in your garden.

They need loads of tests before they can get planning permission and then the are permitted, which involves loads of rules and regulations which are different for each plant.

Loads of scare stories around about all sorts of stuff, that is the Internet for you.

The asbestos thing, people panic.

Asbestos is only dangerous when it is dry and in small enough particles that you can breath it into your lungs.

It is safe when it is wet.

You can put pieces of asbestos in a bowl, pour milk on it and eat it like a bowl of cornflakes.

It will do you no harm at all.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 07:57 AM

Never seen those water butts before. How many gallons do they hold?
We've always been on well water, so learned to conserve water early.

Our well here is a good producer, so no worries about running out. And I will admit to a bit of wastage - like waiting for the pipes to clear out the warmer water!!
But at our last house, the well never produced enough to get through the summer. So hubby put in a water storage tank - a 5,000 gallon tank. Yep, it was big, but we never ran out of water again! It was all collected from the roofs of the house, garage, and sheds.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
OMG ... water sitting in the hose

How do you stop it?
I don't know the exact details on how he contracted it but I understand he left the hose pipe full of water laying on the lawn, in full sun. I'm sure we have all done that at some point. I now make sure I empty the hose before reeling it back in. thankfully it is rare but it can happen.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I'm becoming more aware of saving it but I'm not preoccupied by it. I have a friend who turns off the shower whilst she soaps up her hair, I don't go to those lengths.

Wow, that seems a bit OTT to me, Summer.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I have three very large water butts in my garden and also a very large container I call the dunkin' container cos it's big enough to dunk my watering cans in. No matter how many containers I have, which are all fed from the house roof, garage roof and greenhouse roof, I still run out of water after just a few days of hot weather and no rain. I have a very large garden which is full of flowers and shrubs. I never water the grass cos that will always bounce back eventually.

Thank you EZ. That is precisely what I meant.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
You will all hate me but I am the worst person in the world for wasting water. I am not on a meter and as there are only the two of us I plead Guilty!

Guilty to running the kitchen cold tap for a couple of minutes before filling the kettle for the first time in the morning.

Guilty of letting the bathroom cold tap run whilst cleaning my teeth instead of using a glass.

Guilty of staying in the shower far too long every morning.

Guilty of using only the shower to bathe the two little dogs once a week.

Guilty of forever flushing the loo, sometimes when it doesn't even need flushing! I.e. after using a tissue to wipe my make up off. Into the loo goes the tissue and flush goes the toilet.

And definitely Guilty of filling my kitchen sink with clean water too many times during food preparation.

I'll definitely go to Hell!
Well I certainly don't hate you Shrops, you sound just like me and I don't feel guilty about it either. Can you imagine the Royals syphoning their bath water to water their gardens?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-06-2017, 09:58 AM

Thank you Swims for the explanation, but what about Lepto?
How long can that survive away from the host?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Whatever water we use goes back into the system one way or another, evaporation, drainage etc. It doesn't leave the planet. We just pay for it over and over again
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-06-2017, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Whatever water we use goes back into the system one way or another, evaporation, drainage etc. It doesn't leave the planet. We just pay for it over and over again

Yes, I suppose that is true Tess.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top