Join for free
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 09:16 PM

The Way We See Our Pets.

I'm throwing this thread into the wind to see what our thoughts are to owning pets. JBR wrote "some people might think she's only a cat. Get over it", and in the area I live in that is close to the way I see some peoples attitudes.
It's coming to the point here in Germany where it's being looked at that prospective pet owners should be tested before they can take a pet. The pet/care/refuge centers are full and there are places still selling animals /birds/fish/reptiles to people who haven't a clue as to how they should be taken care of. I'm very passionate about this and would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 10:23 PM

Re: The Way We See Our Pets.

I fully agree with the idea of potential pet owners taking a test in much the same way we have to before owning a car or motorbike.

I would also like to see a scheme whereby people who want to surrender dogs/cats rabbits are counselled before the hand over to see if there is help available to let them consider keeping the pet.

In addition to the ownership test Id like to see it made illegal for any breeder to sell an animal to anyone who does not hold a pet licence the punishment for doing so would be to loose their breeders licence.

As the law stands if a person is banned from keeping animals this ban only applies to said person meanng that the spouse or anyone else in the home can still keep an animal ..In cases of animal creulty I would like to see something akin to the sex offenders terms whereas they cannot be around animals or work with animals or live in a house with animals.

Education plays a huge role in pet ownership and the spur of the moment manner in which many people aquire pets is shown when they surrender them the dogs trust issued a list of excuses...
The list in full:

“My dog doesn’t look like what he did on the website”
“The dog keeps barking at butterflies”
“My dog was too old and no longer brought me any joy”
“It hurts my back to pick up my dog’s poop”
“My dog doesn’t match the sofa”
“I need a smaller dog”
“My dog can’t walk on the lino in my house”
“My dog keeps passing wind”
“He wouldn’t fit in my handbag or wear the outfit I bought him”
“My dog doesn’t like me (after 24 hours)”
“He isn’t as cute as when I first got him”
“He can’t do any tricks”
“He snores really loudly”
“He was too big for my house”
“He keeps scaring the goldfish”
“The dog gets too much attention”
“He barked” (the potential adopters had only got to the carpark)
“He smells, of dog”

If stupidity was a crime all of these people would be serving life sentances!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
I'm throwing this thread into the wind to see what our thoughts are to owning pets. JBR wrote "some people might think she's only a cat. Get over it", and in the area I live in that is close to the way I see some peoples attitudes.
It's coming to the point here in Germany where it's being looked at that prospective pet owners should be tested before they can take a pet. The pet/care/refuge centers are full and there are places still selling animals /birds/fish/reptiles to people who haven't a clue as to how they should be taken care of. I'm very passionate about this and would love to hear your thoughts on this.
I totally agree with you, Kev. Too many people buy/acquire a pet then discard it when they are bored with it or - in many cases - it is no longer fashionable.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 08:14 AM

At the moment here the focus is on young families. Your list Cass is mirrored here with young peoples throw away lifestyles. They treat pets like fashion accessories. It was suggested to introduce animal and pet care into schools but the popular concensus was that there are far more important subjects that the students should concentrate on.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I totally agree with you, Kev. Too many people buy/acquire a pet then discard it when they are bored with it or - in many cases - it is no longer fashionable.

I read a while back of a woman who discarded her dog "because it's coat didn't match her settee". . .

I could happily slap someone like that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:58 PM

When mine didn't match the sofa I changed the sofa !

But I do agree some sort of test may be way forward, also I think it should be taught that ownership is for life of the pet, I do understand life can change and it's not possible to keep them, that happened to us, but if it does happen some sort of proper way forward should be madatory, no just handing them over to another person, or abandoning them.

Breeders should have to pass a test and be responsible for each pet they sell, have to take them back if the home doesn't work out.

I'd also make rescue allow more people to adopt many have unrealistic restrictions.

I know breed specific legislation isn't popular but I don't want to see some breeds in young males hands or in young families. We've seen too many tragic endings.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When mine didn't match the sofa I changed the sofa !

But I do agree some sort of test may be way forward, also I think it should be taught that ownership is for life of the pet, I do understand life can change and it's not possible to keep them, that happened to us, but if it does happen some sort of proper way forward should be madatory, no just handing them over to another person, or abandoning them.

Breeders should have to pass a test and be responsible for each pet they sell, have to take them back if the home doesn't work out.

I'd also make rescue allow more people to adopt many have unrealistic restrictions.

I know breed specific legislation isn't popular but I don't want to see some breeds in young males hands or in young families. We've seen too many tragic endings.

Julie, when I used to breed I had a Sales Contract they had to sign.
It said clearly about health testing, it also explained about the puppies all had 'Endorsements' on them with the KC so they couldn't breed without my consent and knowledge, and lastly it stated if for any reason they couldn't keep the pup in the future, I had to be given first choice to have it back.

They then read this through, signed it and we had a copy each. They also my number they could ring me day or night if they were concerned about anything, as well as loads of paperwork all in a nice folder.

I think I did as much as I could.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 10:09 PM

You certainly did mups you are kind of breeder we need, not like some we've dealt with who won't even answer a letter if we have a query that they could answer really easily.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top