Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 12:08 AM

Re: Thank you.

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Unfortunately violence begets violence.

The problem here is that 2 thieves who have gotten a surprise will be angry and likely to come back in a group of 4 or 5 probably armed to "teach Swim a lesson".

There's no happy end to that story. If Swim manages to defend himself against the group, another bigger group will arrive.

Violence begets violence.

And for what? A lawnmower?

The smart move is to have covert surveillance running so that you film the footage of the theft and of any vehicle involved. Pass that to the police and let them catch and lock up the crims.

You can replace a lawnmower easily. You can not replace your body.

I must say, the same thought crossed my mind too.
Just because they might have scarpered, doesn't mean to say they won't be back.

I assume this was in broad daylight Swim, as I don't suppose your mower would have been outside at night?

CCTV seems by far the best idea as Surfermom suggested.

Also, Twink has a point about the law and self defence.
I read in the paper just today, about a man who heard someone fiddling with his front door, then this thief went to the man's car and tried to get in there too.

The husband was concerned for his wife and children indoors, and felt he had to defend them.
The thief then threatened to stab the man, and the husband managed to knock him to the ground and his wife called the police.
When the cops arrived, they arrested the husband!

For the past 11 months, this poor man has been living in fear of being jailed. He said he wouldn't be able to pay his mortgage and what would happen to his family if he was locked up. He even lost his job because of the stress.

When it finally came to court, the jury sided with the husband and he was free to go.
The would-be burglar (a known criminal), got just 8 weeks for attempting to break in, trying to steal the car, and threatening behaviour with a knife.

So after reading that Swim, I can't help but wonder how you would fare. You hadn't even got a wife and children to protect, just a mower, and also I'm guessing you weren't threatened with a knife either. It may not look too good for you.

You didn't answer my earlier question asking whether you had reported it to the police?
They might have a good idea who these men are, especially if other householders have reported them too.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 01:35 AM

Burglars are sneaky low life's not hardened organised gangsters.

It's very unlikely they'll come back for revenge, they were hardly mauled.

Their pride will not allow them to divulge the encounter to friends.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Hi

Thank you all for your comments.

It is indeed a very unusual time for me.

My Hospital Acquired Infection has come back with a vengeance.

I look like a victim, very strange for me.

I cannot fly out to sort my son out.

Both my kids have previously been in the certain knowledge that Dad can sort anything.

Tpin is in my view correct, chancers, not professionals.

The Police are miles away, in a small Rural Village we do not have the luxury of a rapid response, neither do they investigate minor incidents, you get a log number, useless if you have an excess on your Insurance.

If they view you as vulnerable, they will be back for richer pickings.

Putting the word out in the Village is far more effective.

Everybody will know quicksticks, many extended families here and the locals are very handy.

The local farmhands are nobodies idiots and are very protective of the oldies.

Like it or lump it they will not be back, which, at the present moment in time, is all I need.

My house sale has fallen through, genuine people, locals, their buyer has backed out and they had already put much of their stuff into storage.

Such is life, I will survive.

Thank you all again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 06:02 PM

You'll probably sell alright after Christmas Swim, most people have other things on their mind this time of year, than to go house hunting.
I think they like to stay put for Christmas and then get moving once that's over with.

Do you still want to move to Poland like you said before?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Unfortunately violence begets violence.

The problem here is that 2 thieves who have gotten a surprise will be angry and likely to come back in a group of 4 or 5 probably armed to "teach Swim a lesson".

There's no happy end to that story. If Swim manages to defend himself against the group, another bigger group will arrive.

Violence begets violence.

And for what? A lawnmower?

The smart move is to have covert surveillance running so that you film the footage of the theft and of any vehicle involved. Pass that to the police and let them catch and lock up the crims.

You can replace a lawnmower easily. You can not replace your body.
More like pass that to the police and let them do bugger all about it. They couldn't give a stuff unless they are involved in fast car chases.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I must say, the same thought crossed my mind too.
Just because they might have scarpered, doesn't mean to say they won't be back.

I assume this was in broad daylight Swim, as I don't suppose your mower would have been outside at night?

CCTV seems by far the best idea as Surfermom suggested.

Also, Twink has a point about the law and self defence.
I read in the paper just today, about a man who heard someone fiddling with his front door, then this thief went to the man's car and tried to get in there too.

The husband was concerned for his wife and children indoors, and felt he had to defend them.
The thief then threatened to stab the man, and the husband managed to knock him to the ground and his wife called the police.
When the cops arrived, they arrested the husband!

For the past 11 months, this poor man has been living in fear of being jailed. He said he wouldn't be able to pay his mortgage and what would happen to his family if he was locked up. He even lost his job because of the stress.

When it finally came to court, the jury sided with the husband and he was free to go.
The would-be burglar (a known criminal), got just 8 weeks for attempting to break in, trying to steal the car, and threatening behaviour with a knife.

So after reading that Swim, I can't help but wonder how you would fare. You hadn't even got a wife and children to protect, just a mower, and also I'm guessing you weren't threatened with a knife either. It may not look too good for you.

You didn't answer my earlier question asking whether you had reported it to the police?
They might have a good idea who these men are, especially if other householders have reported them too.
Regarding my previous post regarding the uselessness of the cops, I rest my case. Pursuing and punishing the criminals is too much like hard work. Better and easier to arrest the victim of the crime.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-11-2017, 06:22 PM

That is probably true in a lot of cases Judd.
When my bag was stolen and I lost my money and bank card, plus some money I had drawn out for Mum, they had film of the buggers at the ATM trying to use my card, but still never did anything about it!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That is probably true in a lot of cases Judd.
When my bag was stolen and I lost my money and bank card, plus some money I had drawn out for Mum, they had film of the buggers at the ATM trying to use my card, but still never did anything about it!
Hi

Precisely Mups.

I do not blame the Police, they have been savaged.

Three years ago, working Christmas with the Police, toilet breaks and meal breaks where 10 minutes away, now they are 30 minutes away due to closure of small stations.

Not a very good use of time.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 08:56 PM

Swimmy, l am sorry for your trouble. Where were your Polish lodgers/friends when you needed them the most?

Were the perpetrators, young, old? Could you give the police a good description, so that others can be made aware and look out for them?

Did you need medical attention for your fists or any other injuries you may have incurred in fighting back?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 09:19 PM

Swims I am so sorry to hear you had this trouble .
Did you report the incident to the police these people may be known to them
Please be careful you are no longer strong as you were, yes it comes to us all ,we are vulnerable .
It's difficult -I am still inside the girl who rode difficult horses on the pampas but that girl is gone now .
The spirit as they say is willing but everything else has aged and things are not the same.
I cannot protect my children as I once did they are grown men now. .
Let your son come home when his health permits and stay with you as Twink says it will be good for both of you
Meanwhile
Get a dog -a large one !
It will be your companion friend and guardian
Take care now .

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top