Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:24 PM

dental care the UK is third world

Apparently we are now like a third world country for dental care .
How can this be?

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35221163
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:39 PM

Re: dental care the UK is third world

It's quite simply too expensive for many people.
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:43 PM

My dentist, with whom I have been a patient for 28 years, is National Health only and is wonderful. My husband has swapped from his private practice to the one I use. However, in not too far away Birmingham our daughter seemed unable to get into a practice so still used ours. My children only had sweets from me on pocket money day and the youngest aged 33 has one very small filling which was necessary but not due to decay. I see children shoving sweets into their mouths on the way to school and I am filled with horror . I agree, though, that there is room for improvement in dental services here in the UK.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:50 PM

As a National Health patient for the first 20 years of my life I didn't realise how bad my UK dentist was until I came to Australia and paid for my dental care.

Normally I pay about $100 to $200 for treatment, say a filling and/or clean, just recently I paid $299 for an extraction but that was because I required the roots surgically removed. As it took over 2 hours I thought it was pretty good value - I have paid more for a plumber.

BTW there is an expression out here "English teeth".
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:54 PM

I think there are good and bad dentists, same as any other profession.
I'm lucky to have a good one, but it's not always been like that.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:00 PM

Not a thing wrong with my dentist went the other day and had a filling xmas eve to be precise never felt a thing.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:07 PM

Im with a NHS dentist and have not had any problems at all. I think the rates are very reasonable ..ive not been for a while what with the cancer and everything going on though.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:10 PM

Not surprising at all. A few years ago the government of the day changed the way dentists were funded making NHS patients an unappealing proposition . Overnight many dentists moved from NHS to private practice mine included and I was left with no choice but to join a private dental insurance scheme or leave and find another dentist .

I have been with the same dentist for many years and had no wish to change and anyway all the other local dentists were either private too or were not taking on anymore NHS patients.

I am sure rather than pay for private health care many people just didn't bother or can't afford it . After all,a dentist is not the most pleasant thing on which to spend your money unless you happen to have toothache.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Not surprising at all. A few years ago the government of the day changed the way dentists were funded making NHS patients an unappealing proposition . Overnight many dentists moved from NHS to private practice mine included and I was left with no choice but to join a private dental insurance scheme or leave and find another dentist .

I have been with the same dentist for many years and had no wish to change and anyway all the other local dentists were either private too or were not taking on anymore NHS patients.

I am sure rather than pay for private health care many people just didn't bother or can't afford it . After all,a dentist is not the most pleasant thing on which to spend your money unless you happen to have toothache.
Exactly. When I was still in the UK some years ago my dentist informed me that he was going private and could no longer see me on the NHS. I managed to find another NHS dentist, who shortly after that did exactly the same thing. For years in my area it was nigh on impossible to get NHS dental treatment. I don't know if it has improved much since then.

I am wondering if, in time, GPs will head in the same direction en masse.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Exactly. When I was still in the UK some years ago my dentist informed me that he was going private and could no longer see me on the NHS. I managed to find another NHS dentist, who shortly after that did exactly the same thing. For years in my area it was nigh on impossible to get NHS dental treatment. I don't know if it has improved much since then.

I am wondering if, in time, GPs will head in the same direction en masse.

I hope you're wrong Ania, but there does seem to be alot of unrest of late. More talk of junior docs going on strike, and many leaving to go abroad to work. They are not happy are they.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top