Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 12:52 AM

Gluten Intolerance

The Australian Defence Force has rejected applicants with severe gluten intolerance and coeliac disease because they would be malnourished and a risk in combat, training or sedentary deployments.

Close to half the energy value in combat ration packs come from wheat products with many unsuccessful applicants and family members frustrated by the army's rigid guidelines.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nati...11-gngm3n.html
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 02:16 AM

Re: Gluten Intolerance

My Wife is coeliac Toots.
And just so long as she keeps away from Barley/Wheat and stuff she is fit and fine.
I avoid getting into an argument with here, that's for sure.
I want to live!
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 10:37 AM

Yes Boozer, I have a friend who suffers too, don't understand why but l know it's real. We have a growing aisle of products in our supermarkets to cater for this distressing allergy.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by tootsweet ->
Yes Boozer, I have a friend who suffers too, don't understand why but l know it's real. We have a growing aisle of products in our supermarkets to cater for this distressing allergy.
Yes Toots, but right now the food range of gluten free stuff in shops is pitifully short.
Mind you, my Wife usually gets these every month off the NHS...

8 loaves of Juvela fibre Bread
1 box of Pasta
1 box of flour mix
1 box of cornflakes.

She can get bread rolls instead of bread, and there are other items she can get as well, but the amounts are limited to 14 units a month overall.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 05:21 PM

A great percentage of so-called "gluten intolerant" people are not actually that. They are intolerant to commercial breads made with chemicals, flour improvers and the like.

Wheat and the natural yeasts which occur on and in the grains are supposed to be fermented over long periods, at least 24hrs, sometimes longer. When you make a loaf the "proper" way using long fermentation techniques the bread is digested very easily and many so-called "gluten intolerant" people have no problem when eating it.

True Celiacs are different of course.

The commercial baking industry which came up with the awful "Chorleywood" process years ago, is imo largely responsible for the plethora of "gluten" intolerants today.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

12-03-2016, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
A great percentage of so-called "gluten intolerant" people are not actually that. They are intolerant to commercial breads made with chemicals, flour improvers and the like.

Wheat and the natural yeasts which occur on and in the grains are supposed to be fermented over long periods, at least 24hrs, sometimes longer. When you make a loaf the "proper" way using long fermentation techniques the bread is digested very easily and many so-called "gluten intolerant" people have no problem when eating it.

True Celiacs are different of course.

The commercial baking industry which came up with the awful "Chorleywood" process years ago, is imo largely responsible for the plethora of "gluten" intolerants today.
Yes, my Wife had the blood tests by the NHS, and she has been properly diagnosed as coeliac.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
Yes, my Wife had the blood tests by the NHS, and she has been properly diagnosed as coeliac.
One of my grandaughters has also been properly diagnosed too.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 09:26 PM

Apologies to anyone with genuine gluten intolerance, but I saw a TV programme recently from LA, where "gluten free" food is the latest health fad. The interviewer was stopping joggers in an LA park and asking them whether or not they ate gluten free food and why they did so. Some 80% of the joggers claimed to eat gluten free. When asked why, and what gluten was, their answers were hilarious and totally ignorant. Most thought gluten was some kind of toxic chemical additive put in the food by big business, some realised it was a natural substance but had no idea what it was. Most of them thought that gluten was "bad" for people and no-one should eat it, only a very few thought that it only affected people with a sensitivity to it. One thought it would probably kill you if you ate enough.
Hilarious stuff but I suppose the good thing is that with such a huge market amongst health freak idiots for gluten free food, production will increase and prices will go down for those people with a genuine problem.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
..I saw a TV programme recently from LA, where "gluten free" food is the latest health fad.
I don't think it is a health fad

Wheat/gluten was only introduced into the human diet 10,000 years ago. Humans have been around for about 2 million years - we are just not designed to eat gluten and can't properly digest it.

Traditional breads (as per Realist's post) help as many of the anti-nutrients are mitigated and some gluten is partially digested by the starter, but it is still not ideal because people are no where near as active as we were even 10,000 years ago.

Gluten is also a known neurotransmitter blocker (yup, that makes us 'dim/slow', and is particularly damaging in the formative years) - the Romans knew exactly what they were doing when they gave the people "bread and circus".
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 12:20 AM

How interesting I didn't know that .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top