Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 11:42 AM

Bees and butterflies

I am not seeing many this year. I heard a bumble bee at the bedroom window this morning but nothing in the garden. I haven't seen any butterflies for a couple of weeks. Is the weather confusing them (first so cold and windy, now a heatwave again)?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 12:05 PM

Re: Bees and butterflies

I've got plenty of bees in my garden, Annie, but I have not seen many butterflies yet, only one or two.
I used to have a big Buddleia bush outside the back door, but I had to remove it and that has certainly made a difference to the number of butterflies I see now. Pity.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 12:23 PM

My buddleia Black knight isn't flowering properly yet. I think I need to water it but didn't think of doing so as usually it doesn't need any. You have lots of other lovely flowers for butterflies in your garden Mups.

the butterfly conservation society recommends not using peat compost and deadheading flowers. I haven't checked my compost yet. They also like lavender according to the link. I do have two lavenders in pots. But the big one is only just sprouting.

http://butterfly-conservation.org/12...tterflies.html
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 12:25 PM

I have had lots of brown and yellow butterfies, think they are called Chequered Skipper.

I have also spent the last couple if weeks rescuing bees that come in through the back door and join me in my study.... where I can't open the window....... I have had dozens if them!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 12:54 PM

I bought a Deutzia (sp?) from the Pound shop...for....(wait for it.....) a quid It has taken a couple of years to grow to a reasonable height, white flowers and it really attracts the bee's, no butterfly's yet ...Buddleia is still growing. My lilies have been attacked by something similar to white fly are are distorted at the growing tip. More successes than failures this year and I am using gallons of water everyday.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-06-2017, 01:12 PM

I just spotted a bee at my lupins!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I bought a Deutzia (sp?) from the Pound shop...for....(wait for it.....) a quid It has taken a couple of years to grow to a reasonable height, white flowers and it really attracts the bee's, no butterfly's yet ...Buddleia is still growing. My lilies have been attacked by something similar to white fly are are distorted at the growing tip. More successes than failures this year and I am using gallons of water everyday.

There does seem a lot of insects and bugs about Rehab, I agree.
When do you water mostly, in the evening?
I find if I get the hose out just before dusk, every slug in the neighbourhood takes it as an invite. I picked loads off one of the Dahlia's last night, and even my tomatoes had some slithering their way across the compost.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There does seem a lot of insects and bugs about Rehab, I agree.
When do you water mostly, in the evening?
I find if I get the hose out just before dusk, every slug in the neighbourhood takes it as an invite. I picked loads off one of the Dahlia's last night, and even my tomatoes had some slithering their way across the compost.
With this current weather I am watering twice a day...early in the morning and evening when most of the garden is in shade, some plants at the front of the house are suffering though because I missed yesterday. My hose doesn't quite reach and humping watering cans is a bit difficult.. I have noticed slugs on the dahlias too.
Gardening is becoming a bit of a battle at the mo
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
With this current weather I am watering twice a day...early in the morning and evening when most of the garden is in shade, some plants at the front of the house are suffering though because I missed yesterday. My hose doesn't quite reach and humping watering cans is a bit difficult.. I have noticed slugs on the dahlias too.
Gardening is becoming a bit of a battle at the mo

You're not really supposed to do that, Rehab.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 02:05 PM

Hi

I know very little about birds and butterflies.

I know somewhat more about the birds and the bees.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top