Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 12:59 AM

Cataracts

3 days ago I had an eye exam prior to buying new glasses. The optamolgist (sp?) told me I have "baby" cataracts. I asked him when would I need eye surgery he said, earliest 2 yr, latest 8 yr.
Has anyone had that surgery ? Sounds pretty scary to me.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 03:15 AM

Re: Cataracts

Yes I have had cataracts removed from both eyes and no it's not in the least bit scary.

In fact it has to be one of the most life changing ops going.

I was blind in my right eye and 85% blind in my left. Two twenty minute ops over three months and my sight was fully restored; I was able to take up photography again. What a boon that was.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 03:33 AM

It's just the thought of someone sticking needles into my eyes really freaks me out, especially as I'd be fully awake and conscious of everything going on. Even writing about it makes my stomach turn over.
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 03:40 AM

I believe they use numbing eye drops.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
3 days ago I had an eye exam prior to buying new glasses. The optamolgist (sp?) told me I have "baby" cataracts. I asked him when would I need eye surgery he said, earliest 2 yr, latest 8 yr.
Has anyone had that surgery ? Sounds pretty scary to me.
I have had exactly the same diagnosis in my left eye - when the time comes I will probably get it done privately to save having to wait.

It's a common and routine op - only day surgery and costs a a couple of grand if you pay for it privately (free on Medicare). They correct any sight defects so you won't necessarily need glasses afterward.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 04:53 AM

Bakerman, there are no needles involved at all.

They will put some eye drops into your eye to numb it, then you'll get a series of eye drops put in to thoroughly, and I do mean thoroughly, clean the eye, some drops to open up the iris finally some drops to anaesthetise the eye.

As far as you are concerned, all you will see is a bright light while the surgeon will talk through what is being done. You will feel some tugging which is a bit disconcerting, but you have my absolute assurance the whole experience will be pain free. Twenty minutes later, the light will go out and an eye guard will be put in place.

You'll be given some eye drops you have to put in for a period of weeks while the scars heal. Again, I'll promise you the coloured vision you'll experience with your new lens is beyond description and you'll realise just how bad your eyesight had become; like looking at the world through a newly cleaned window after looking at the world through some exceptionally dirty mesh curtains.

Go for it - you won't regret it for a moment.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 04:59 AM

Nor cataracts but had a "Stent" (( a small tube thinner than a human hair) insert behind one eye to relieve pressure. As Fogey says they numb the eye with drops first.
Sue thought it looked funny on the way home, one eye moved and the other didn't until The numbness wore off
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 08:57 AM

Two years ago I was told I had the start of cataracts in both eyes. At my eye appointment a couple of weeks ago I was told the cataract in the right eye has remained the same but the one in the left eye is bigger. The optometrist said it would be some time before I needed an op.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 09:15 AM

Yes, I had cataract surgery on my left eye a couple of years ago. It was no problem whatsoever, and I was home by lunchtime and walking my dog the next day. I know the other eye needs doing but am holding off for the moment as I did not want to go on the waiting list because I had cancer surgery and chemo and felt that was enough to cope with.

I certainly would recommend cataract surgery, I was only on the waiting list for a month, and it was painless. The hospital has volunteers who accompany you into theatre and hold your hand through the procedure and all one has to do is squeeze that hand if you feel uncomfortable. I didn't need to.
bakerman
Mexico

09-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Does anyone happen to know why they do not simply use general anesthetic? They may not use needles in the eyes but they must cut open the eye to remove the cataract and install a new lens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top