Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Re: Bruce Gilley - “The case for colonialism”

The US has quite an imperialist history too.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'd agree is shades of grey, with out it many great people wouldn't be living here now but how we went into countries wasn't good in any shape or form.

I'd suggest many of our problems today are down to it too.
I'm with you. Colonialism was a thing of it's time it took centuries to build empires (what? 16th to 20th Century?) out of it rose new nations USA, Australia, Canada, South Africa, Brazil etc Without it these would be very different places but the exploitation and subjugation of vast numbers of people was horrendous.

While I suppose you could argue; would India have it's wonderful railway system without it? On the whole I think it would be hard to argue that overall colonialism was a force for good (except for relatively small number of people).
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Take a look at what has happened and is still happening to Africa after the ‘Imperialists’ were kicked out or left. You have a continent which is ungovernable and a money pit for NGO’s, charities, the UN and every other agency you can wave a stick at. But hey! They are free right? And the Swiss banks just love African leaders.
Good point ... you mean tribalism
Tribalism versus Imperialism.

Time moves on.
The Middle East is another quagmire of tribalism gone mad .. with ongoing localised wars rife with flashpoints that draw in foreign interest.
That must be new Globalism... certainly seems that way with how it's impact is infesting the rest of the world with Terrorism.

I'm on an 'ism' roll this morning.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 12:27 PM

Without Imperialism, we wouldn't be enjoying the humble Mint.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Without Imperialism, we wouldn't be enjoying the humble Mint.
Humbug!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 08:10 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMLILUnRD9I

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Sorrry but I don't take any notice from some unknown obscure person who shout about nothing important.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top