Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 03:52 PM

Choosing a Slow Cooker

Winter is approaching and I'm thinking of getting a slow cooker but I have a few questions -

For years I've done my stews & casseroles in a heavy pan on the hob or in a casserole dish in the oven. Is there really much advantage over these with a slow cooker?

I live on my own; what sort of size would I need?

If I want to cook lentils, kidney beans, etc. do they need to be soaked or boiled first?

Any other comments or pros & cons?

What other kinds of meals are best suited to a slow cooker?

Any recommended makes? Or those to avoid?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 04:34 PM

Re: Choosing a Slow Cooker

You still need to boil your beans , esp the kidney beans, unless you buy tinned

I do have a slow cooker but rarely use is as I prefer my heavy casserole on top of the hob, but that’s since I got an induction hob, the control of it is amazing

Slow cookers cook a lot more then stews. I cook my roosters in them as they need long slow cooking. I would definitely say buy one big enough to take a chicken. Just prop it up on some rough chopped veg like swede, onion etc, season it, add a small splash of wine or stock and you have the gravy and veg made as well.

Fudge is supposed to be nice made in it, I know my sister makes desserts on hers

If you are a batch cook then yes go get one as big as possible. Imagine a pot full of say beef stew cooked and cooked for pennies sat in the freezer ready to turn into a pie or just served with dumplings
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 06:48 PM

Zulu, have a look here, there is quite a lot of useful information on this previous thread about slow cookers.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...t=Slow+Cookers
cbrown372
Scotland
cbrown372 is female  cbrown372 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 08:24 PM

Home Bargains sell slow cooker liners pack of 5 for I think 69p, makes for easier cleaning.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by cbrown372 ->
Home Bargains sell slow cooker liners pack of 5 for I think 69p, makes for easier cleaning.
And very good they are too!! A brilliant invention.

I do like my slow cooker, which I bought in Wilko, so quite cheap. Yes, it's small, but I would prefer 'compact', and it suits me. Do steak and kidney, pork, cider & apple, or chicken. Whatever meat I'm cooking I use the appropriate packet casserole mix (with cold water), and it makes it nice and thick.

Just throw in whatever ingedients you like and prefer. Switch on, leave for the day, and enjoy. It's so nice coming home hours later from shopping, allotment, or whatever, and the aroma hits you as you open the front door!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Brilliant for doing lamb shanks in, well worth buying a good one, they last for years, unless you are cack handed like me and drop the lid...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Brilliant for doing lamb shanks in, well worth buying a good one, they last for years, unless you are cack handed like me and drop the lid...

Rehab my dear, when you cook whole joints, or whole chickens, do you have to brown the meat first?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 09:52 PM

Yep, it does mention that in all the slow cooker recipes I have used, flour salt and pepper dusted over your meat, I do it in a freezer bag, into a hot pan, brown on all sides and into the slo cooker.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

22-10-2017, 09:55 PM

Just reread your post Mups, I have never done a whole chicken but have done legs, breasts etc. I have used the left overs from a roast chicken, bones etc in a slow cooker to make a stew though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

22-10-2017, 10:00 PM

OK. Thank you.

Just one more question please - Is there really any difference between cooking in a slow cooker and an ordinary oven turned right down low?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top