Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 11:13 AM

Re: The definitive Windows 10 Fall Creators Update review

Arrived here last night.

Three choices - "do it now", "wait for a better time", "don't do it".

Hit shut Down and update and it took, about, half an hour.

No problems.

Not many visible benefits, either, but the security fixes have relevance.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 01:24 PM

At first I did not have a problem but just recently my notebook is losing battery charge over night and being difficult to start.
After reading various advice I have altered various power settings to no effect and yesterday I checked for Intel driver updates. I have updated three drivers as recommended and await the outcome when I get to work and try it out.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 03:20 PM

Download, install and update took 2.5 hours on my desktop .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 09:42 PM

I think that the market is crying out for a new OS.

Windows is too dictatorial and controlling.
Crapple is too expensive.
Linux is too difficult for idiots like me.

How about an Android OS for computers?

More freedom of choice than Windows.
Cheaper than Crapple.
Simpler than Linux.

If I had the brains I'd create one!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 09:50 PM

Linux isn’t so difficult tbh. I’ve used it before on a dead pc and managed to keep it working for what I needed

Linux is becoming much more user friendly to people like me , but still programmable for geeks
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Linux isn’t so difficult tbh. I’ve used it before on a dead pc and managed to keep it working for what I needed

Linux is becoming much more user friendly to people like me , but still programmable for geeks
Yes, so I believe.

One drawback, I believe, is that some programmes devised for Windows will not work on Linux. One of my often used programmes, Photoshop Elements, will not as far as I know.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 11:18 PM

Aye photoshop won't , but then if you can work photoshop then Gimp ( whilst not as streamlined) should be a doddle ( plus it's free )

I'm a complete klutz with photo editing so I'm not bothered. I use open office ( M$ word lookalike) as easily as the real McCoy
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-11-2017, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Aye photoshop won't , but then if you can work photoshop then Gimp ( whilst not as streamlined) should be a doddle ( plus it's free )

I'm a complete klutz with photo editing so I'm not bothered. I use open office ( M$ word lookalike) as easily as the real McCoy
No. When I first got this W10 laptop, I installed my old Photoshop Elements (version 1 or thereabouts!) which I had obtained from a free CD that came with a computer magazine years and years ago.

It had worked perfectly on my old W7 laptop, but W10 refused to accept it. I suppose that's what they call progress.

After trying all sorts of things I gave up and, knowing I could not afford to buy a new Photoshop Elements (and certainly not the full version), I looked for alternatives and found Gimp.

I dutifully gave it a try and, yes, it worked and I could use it. Unfortunately, it was less intuitive than Photoshop and I found it a bit too fiddly. I persevered, but eventually decided I couldn't stand it any longer, so I bought a copy of PE 14 for the princely sum of about 50-odd squids.

I suppose that if push came to shove I could use my Windows 10 laptop for PE and perhaps other programmes that won't work with Linux, but avoid ever using the internet. With no internet connection, even Microsoft couldn't possibly take control of my computer.

I could then use an older laptop (I have a couple), install a version of Linux (Mint?) purely for use with the internet and e-mail.

There are always ways and means if you're determined enough!
Mel15
Nowhere

02-11-2017, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No. When I first got this W10 laptop, I installed my old Photoshop Elements (version 1 or thereabouts!) which I had obtained from a free CD that came with a computer magazine years and years ago.

It had worked perfectly on my old W7 laptop, but W10 refused to accept it. I suppose that's what they call progress.

After trying all sorts of things I gave up and, knowing I could not afford to buy a new Photoshop Elements (and certainly not the full version), I looked for alternatives and found Gimp.

I dutifully gave it a try and, yes, it worked and I could use it. Unfortunately, it was less intuitive than Photoshop and I found it a bit too fiddly. I persevered, but eventually decided I couldn't stand it any longer, so I bought a copy of PE 14 for the princely sum of about 50-odd squids.

I suppose that if push came to shove I could use my Windows 10 laptop for PE and perhaps other programmes that won't work with Linux, but avoid ever using the internet. With no internet connection, even Microsoft couldn't possibly take control of my computer.

I could then use an older laptop (I have a couple), install a version of Linux (Mint?) purely for use with the internet and e-mail.

There are always ways and means if you're determined enough!

You are right.

The one programme that I really need is ITunes as that's how I back up all our phones. Apparently with a bit of code, it can be used on Linux ( way past my capabilities) so I'm formatting my hard drive to have windows and Linux on a dual boot. I will use Linux ( mint) for day to day and just open windows for phone back ups
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 06:07 PM

Download, install and update took 2.5 hours on my laptop .....

The "fuzzy fonts" manifestation was supposed to have been cleared on this release but I noticed that, on my laptop, which has a screen DPI Scale of 125%, the "fuzziness" is still apparent on some applications .....

I have now abandoned all hope of MS providing a solution and have installed, instead, XPExplorer Windows 10 DPI Fix 2.2, which makes the DPI Scaling in Windows 10 work just like it used to in Windows 8 .....

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top