Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 05:45 PM

Smart Motorways

I read recently that the powers that be are considering raising the speed limit along stretches of motorways etc that are having significant work carried out.

Personally, I have no objection to slowing down to 30mph along the stretches where there is actual work taking place for the safety of the workpeople present at these specific places. But, as many of us know, the problem is that the limit is 50mph for miles and miles along roads where no activity is taking place. Those who frequent motorways being upgraded to "smart" traffic control know what I mean.

Given that the idea of these newly managed stretches are to optimise traffic flow, it occurred to me that during their construction, they are missing a trick.

Instead of having the same old metal boards painted with 50mph on them, and given the fact that the technology seems readily available, why not replace these with variable road signs. Thus, for example, if there is a stretch which does not currently have someone's mummy or daddy working on it, these could be allowed to still function at normal 70mpg limits, with signs for reductions in the limit being flagged up as one actually approached some workmen doing something.

In simple terms, why not have "smart" roadwork systems and signs in place while upgrading motorways to being "smart"?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 05:48 PM

Re: Smart Motorways

I think smart motorways are a bloody stupid idea anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I think smart motorways are a bloody stupid idea anyway.
Why's that?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Why's that?
Drive on one and you will find out why.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Drive on one and you will find out why.
I’ve driven them and I’m a fan
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:31 PM

What makes it 'Smart' ? Can you get Wi Fi on it whilst driving at seventy miles an hour......?????.....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 05:34 PM

They are stupid imo. Most people don't want to drive in the new first lane so it's more or less an ordinary motorway. Should there be loads of traffic in all 4 lanes, how will any police, ambulance or fire engine get through with no hard shoulder?
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I read recently that the powers that be are considering raising the speed limit along stretches of motorways etc that are having significant work carried out.

Personally, I have no objection to slowing down to 30mph along the stretches where there is actual work taking place for the safety of the workpeople present at these specific places. But, as many of us know, the problem is that the limit is 50mph for miles and miles along roads where no activity is taking place. Those who frequent motorways being upgraded to "smart" traffic control know what I mean.

Given that the idea of these newly managed stretches are to optimise traffic flow, it occurred to me that during their construction, they are missing a trick.

Instead of having the same old metal boards painted with 50mph on them, and given the fact that the technology seems readily available, why not replace these with variable road signs. Thus, for example, if there is a stretch which does not currently have someone's mummy or daddy working on it, these could be allowed to still function at normal 70mpg limits, with signs for reductions in the limit being flagged up as one actually approached some workmen doing something.

In simple terms, why not have "smart" roadwork systems and signs in place while upgrading motorways to being "smart"?
Isn’t one of the issues in doing this the fact that lanes in ‘worked on’ sections are usually narrower than in completed sections? I know it can be annoying driving for miles at an enforced 59 when there’s no evident work going on but the higher the speed, the higher the risk of collision and accident since the margin for driver reaction and error is much smaller.

I’ve done a lot of range range motorway driving recently and it’s been very noticeable that familiar journeys have taken much longer than they would have done a few years ago.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Quite a few motorways have long stretches with no hard shoulder so I guess they will use a helicopter as they do on those realist.

As long as the workers are protected I am willing to try it, well not me that's the husbands job. I don't drive on motorways at all.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 07:58 PM

Traffic lights are to be placed on two busy link roads between the M6 and the eastbound M62 under plans to ease motorway congestion.

Will not work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top