Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 10:42 PM

Re: camera and lens , My own observation

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
teaching how to get the best out of an expensive DSLR (digital single lens reflex) camera needs a dedicated teacher of that make

Take for example my Nikon D800, the manual alone runs into nearly 450 pages. There are a thousand and one ways of getting correct lighting alone.
That is without even going into subjects like back/ front focus and how to check each lens in turn to get it correct. to name but one

If you not familiar with your camera then there is a strong possibility you won't get the best out of it

I have spoken to many that used to attend camera clubs and invairably it turns out into a bragging evening, my picture is better than yours,Fom whatI have heard
Our instructor a lovely lady has an MSC and is a professional photographer, she doesn’t over complicate things and we do a lot of practical work ... she has shown us how to do basic editing using PS. We even get homework
I must agree with you about camera clubs, I did attend one ..for one meetin..but never again. I was at the bottom of the pecking order when it came to equipment and knowledge something that was brought to my attention. I suspect that may not be true of all clubs.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 10:45 PM

Here's one I took last Winter near where I live...I was quite impressed by the low level of noise I got considering it was pretty dark - just taken with an i-phone.

Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 10:51 PM

I like that Ffosse, leading lines and all that
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 11:01 PM

One other thng I learnt is to give room for something to move into.
You don't want say a bird looking as though it is going to crash into the side of the picture.

Not a good photo but makes the point. Normally Ii would edit out some of the sky on the right to produce a stop and do other work before presenting

Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

31-10-2017, 11:03 PM

That can be learnt via youtube without having to go on a more than likely paid lesson. Also the rule of thirds is there to be broken, it is not a rigid rule one must stick to.

Say for example you have two major points of interest you what to make the main subjects, rule of thirds goes right out the window.
That is not even including producing a balance photo or one that has a stop.

here is an example of mine

A photo is like a page seen from left to right, you can only go so far to the right . In this c ase a big tree blocks looking any further to the right, in other words making the picture come to a full stop

No exact rule of thirds
With all due respect RS I attend the course in order to speak, work and contribute to and with other budding photographers, to share thoughts and ideas and compare the work we have done. I like the interaction something I wouldn’t get from YouTube.
One DSLR has the same basic operation has other. I could no doubt pick up your Nikon and use it without any great problem.
Photoshop is photoshop, it doesn’t care what camera you are using, ok you need to be damn good to use all of the programme but we, total amateurs with maybe not the top of the range cameras are producing Photographs that we like and Photographs that other people like and that like you have said is what counts
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 11:05 PM

Rehab

Can I refer you back to the thread heading. I said previously everyone has their own ideas ,and nothing wrong with that.

All I can say in my defence is I have submitted and won a couple of international photo comps in the past, which not only was a surprise but also that others have acknowledged my work
One I remember was run by Thierry Mugler the perfume people . I can still remember the smell of the stuff. it stank
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

31-10-2017, 11:15 PM

Indeed you can, but with all due respect, you had a pop about my instructor, (which you did delete) you had a pop at my paying for a course, you had a pop at photography clubs, and yes it is all your opinion, but here we are two budding photographers who could have learned from your ‘ extensive’ knowledge only to have had, in my case, ‘legs slapped’ so based on that, I am out of here!
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 11:17 PM

Not necessarily ,I did mention a light lens and a heavy body is no problem
With all due respect RS, that could depend on the subject matter that you want to shoot. It's all very well having a 24-85 Nikon lens ( 465g ) attached to your D800 ( 1000g ) and the weight balance would be in your favour, but not practical for wildlife photography.
Even with my 300mm prime ( 755g ) which is a fairly good balance, it wouldn't be practical for portraits. I have a Nikon 200-500 ( 2300g ) and have to carry it any distance on my Carbon fibre monopod. As for buying a decent shoulder strap, I have a Black Rapid, but wouldn't like to take the chance of carrying my camera and 200-500 on one, unless it's the double strap version.

http://www.blackrapid.com/
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 11:26 PM

Rehab

Can I refer you back to the thread heading. I said previously everyone has their own ideas ,and nothing wrong with that.

All I can say in my defence is I have submitted and won a couple of international photo comps in the past, which not only was a surprise but also that others have acknowledged my work
One I remember was run by Thierry Mugler the perfume people . I can still remember the smell of the stuff. it stank
I can remember the Swan photo, could you post the other one please?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

31-10-2017, 11:37 PM

No offence men't sorry Rehab44. Your place of learning may be the exception, I can only say what i have heard from many that have gone to camera clubs and places to learn.

I go by my own strict criticism of my own work of which I am never satisfied.
What I do object to is someone who professes to be good enough to teach a very indepth subject yet falls down on particular dedicated point.

Lighting for photography alone really needs someone who really understands the subject not give a wide idea of how it should be done. Something again I which is why I avoid portrait work which know little of.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top