Join for free
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 05:43 PM

What a difference!

Today I received a refurbished MacBook Air, purchased from eBay, with a twelve month warranty.. My goodness, what a vast improvement on the pc I have been using, with the dreaded Windows 10.

I unboxed this machine and had no problems whatsoever connecting to my wifi and printer. None of the Widows nonsense of "are you sure you want to do this?" and all the rigmarole of downloading things. The MacBook instantly found both the wifi and printer and one click and they were installed.

The keyboard is lovely, silent and smooth. Although knowing very little about computers, this is so easy to find my way around. I should have done this years ago.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 07:05 PM

Re: What a difference!

Ive had my MAcBook air for just over a year now, bought it brand new and i cannot fault it ,
Time and again i would drop my other laptops and break them , Ive dropped this a few times, but with the metal case it does no harm , well not up to now .
Its also got good sound too for listening to Youtube music .
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:08 PM

I had a MacBook air which was great, a solid reliable machine.

Since then I've got a MacBook 12" - I can't stand Windows on anything.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:15 PM

If I wasn't constrained by how much, I would never buy a Windows machine again

I'm saying that because I'm buying. My grandson a Windows lappy for Christmas as nowadays kids need them for school. If he was older and a tad more mature for an 11 year old, it would be a Mac
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:33 PM

my wife Sue uses a macbook and just had to get a new referb one as the latest platform upgrade would not work on her old one. I replaced the touch pad on the old one and the new one has had to go back twice and the memory board overheated and burnt out. Seems ok now but not good news on a £900+ machine.Oh she also had a noisy fan on the old one and they replaced the hard drive which was ok even though I said I would repair it she insisted it went back to the apple shop. They balls it up,lost the old hard drive and back again to find it was the fan as I said.

Everyone has the opinion that computers are hard to repair, what a load of codswallop. replacing components is easy, it is the program it runs on that need knowledge.

That touchpad replacement cost me £25 plus a set of minature screwdrivers at about £10 which can be used on anything. Sue was told by the people at Apple the touchpad was too expensive to repair and said she needed a new laptop.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:37 PM

Before my MacBook Air I'd been using Chromebooks with no problem at all. I'm surprised they aren't used more in schools as they are a lot more reliable software and security-wise than Windows machines, plus a good deal cheaper than Macs.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
my wife Sue uses a macbook and just had to get a new referb one as the latest platform upgrade would not work on her old one. I replaced the touch pad on the old one and the new one has had to go back twice and the memory board overheated and burnt out. Seems ok now but not good news on a £900+ machine.Oh she also had a noisy fan on the old one and they replaced the hard drive which was ok even though I said I would repair it she insisted it went back to the apple shop. They balls it up,lost the old hard drive and back again to find it was the fan as I said.

Everyone has the opinion that computers are hard to repair, what a load of codswallop. replacing components is easy, it is the program it runs on that need knowledge.

That touchpad replacement cost me £25 plus a set of minature screwdrivers at about £10 which can be used on anything. Sue was told by the people at Apple the touchpad was too expensive to repair and said she needed a new laptop.
What it comes down to is "what is cost effective" when it comes to a repair?

If you take the cost of moving the beast to their repair centre, then adding in the strip down and reassembly cost, then add to all that the cost of employing a person who can repair diagnose things (whether complex or easy) you soon realise that the costs can spiral up to the real shop cost of a replacement product.

It's a no-brainer if you run a business.

Once out of the warranty period it's not worth their effort.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top