Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 06:37 AM

Mental Health

Hi

The big issue here in the UK.

I simply cannot understand why it is so underfunded.

I suffer from PTSD, a legacy of my job at times in my life.

It is not properly addressed here in the UK.

It affects our Ex Service Personnel badly, we do not supply the support they need.

It is charity work, Help the Heros, inadequate Government Funding.

I have never been Military, so do not qualify for support.

The situation needs to change.

Next Monday a new course starts, entirely funded by the Voluntary Sector.

I find this totally wrong.

I will be going, but as a helper, taking a local who does not have the confidence to get out of the house on his own.

I find the way we treat our Ex Service Personnel offensive.

It will be difficult for me, will bring back memories, but worthwhile to help others with worse problems.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 11:06 AM

Re: Mental Health

Having just been referred I am finding it all a bit odd, go to GP they say here's a leaflet with a phone number ring it to access services, ok I'm not so bad I can't do that I guess but what about those so affected the trip to the GP was all they could manage ? Rang the number, they only offer one therapy cbt I think they said, OK how will that help with my annual depression about losing my children ? Sorry it's not designed for that, you can't be helped by our service. Ok where do I go ? Back to GP. So back I go, sorry that's only service we can offer, if you need something else we aren't able to help you.

So anyone actually suicidal by this time IMO won't be any trouble to the NHS as they will be dead.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
The big issue here in the UK.

I simply cannot understand why it is so underfunded.
At the risk of repeating myself . . . .

The health services are no longer health services. They are now "For Profit" big businesses owned, controlled and driven by Big Pharmaceutical power.

Hence they spend many millions pushing the (snake oil) flu jab each year instead of diverting those funds to more just and needed causes.

Most eminent GPs and doctors simply dare not come out and state outright that the flu vaccination is an utterly useless con, it would see the end of their careers.

However I have read statements from high ranking health service staff saying as much as they dare say without being blatant and your issue was key in that statement. The guy said essentially:

"I can not understand the strategy or direction of putting so much effort and money into promotion and distribution of a flu vaccine when the mental health services are screaming out for funding and when mental health is such a bigger and more important issue"

There are a number of these kind of reviews and statements out there if you Google.

In short, I am in total agreement with you Swim. Many of the "Guests" who walk into the support centre I volunteer at have significant mental health issues. They are generally signposted to where they need to go to get the right treatment and support but I think they struggle. Some of them are a danger to themselves and to other people. Some of them are wholly aware that they can and do become violent at times and genuinely want to avoid getting themselves in the situations where that happens.

Donating to the large charities is imo, futile. They exist to syphon lots of money away in admin, salaries and so on. I deeply mistrust all the large mainstream charities. Most of them spend £000s advertising on TV and their chairmen/chairwomen take many £000s in salaries and benefits. To be avoided imo.

My preference is to get involved the SUPPORT CENTRES and CHARITIES that are local to where you live. Don't give money, find out what resources they need, what resources they use on a daily basis and buy those for them to ensure the money DOES get used for the support work.

That might be food supplies and ingredients, it might be clothes, it might be boxes, books, etc etc.

I recommend people get involved in their local centres and thereby get some real perspective on the nature and scale of the problems.

The notion of the humble homeless person wondering the "Streets Of London" is Billy BS. It's not like that. Most of these people have mental health issues, have drink and/or drug issues and are routineluy going from support centre to support centre, working the "system", working the benefits.

Throwing money at these people exacerbates the issue, it feeds their habits and doesn't help them. In fact it increases their risk. There are organised gangs working all major cities pretending to beg, earning £100 to £200 per day. Don't give money, however hard that seems to be. You are not helping when you do that.

Back to topic.

There is no real solution to the problem of severe under funding for mental health services. Big Pharma owns the whole kit and kaboodle and until someone tackles them it remains every man/woman for themselves. Your health is your responsibility no one elses so we must research research research to find for ourselves what aids and cures exist.

You have my sypmathies Swim, but I can tell you are a survivor and won't let such things beat you. Soldier on old bean.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 11:27 AM

This article contains one such statement that shows the true sentiment of medical workers who know the flu vaccine is snake oil

http://healthfreedomidaho.org/pro-va...he-flu-vaccine

Dr. Geier points out how ridiculous it is spend billions of dollars on a vaccine that might, at its best, save about 50 lives a year, when there are far more serious problems causing death that are more worthy of that kind of expenditure.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 11:36 AM

Sorry, but what the 'eck has the flu vaccine (again) got to do with a mental health thread?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 11:45 AM

I was wondering the same mups I thought I was in wrong thread for a moment.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 11:55 AM

Back to mental health ...

It's a double whammy problem isn't it?
First you have inadequate resources and funding.
Second .. it concerns a delicate area where the person who most needs the help is often reluctant anyway to either recognise they need it, or to push to receive it.
It does make you wonder just how many people are out there and who become a statistic ...
You see loads of posters in surgeries pointing out other health problems, vaccines, stop smoking , or other support groups .. but very little which covers mental health.
They seem to be a lost minority.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-11-2017, 12:05 PM

The only other less cared for minority IMO are young carers. In our country it's a crime how we treat both.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

02-11-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sorry, but what the 'eck has the flu vaccine (again) got to do with a mental health thread?
OP was asking why there isn't sufficient funding for mental health in general. One of the reasons is that the controllers of the health industry divert available monies to things like pushing the flu vaccine. The overall answer to the question is that "health" is now just a big business and as such money will go to the areas that will ultimately provide the most profit. Mental Health isn't one of them.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top