Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 08:27 PM

Compulsory organ donation England

When did that happen?
I understand that it will similar or the same has the Welsh NHS GUIDLINES, ie
If you want to be a donor, you can either register to be a donor (opt in) on the NHS Organ Donor Register or do nothing
If you do nothing, we will regard you as having no objection to donating your organs. This is called deemed consent.
If you do not want to be a donor, you can register not to be a donor (opt out) on the NHS Organ Donor Register

Basically isn’t the government saying that we own your body even in death?
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Re: Compulsory organ donation England

No, imo it is the government saying that many are dying unnecessarily, whilst on a waiting list for an organ, which you will no longer need. I have been on the donor register for many years as are my family. Just as they are blood donors, knowing full well that I would not be here had I not had six units of donated blood which saved my life. I may be old, but if any part of me can be used, the NHS are welcome to it, before I enter the incinerator, as I watched my mother do today.
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 09:00 PM

My 16 year old is desparate to get a donor card. I understand even if you have one, the family still need to give consent, which seems to defeat the object a bit. Maybe it's not right though - anyone know?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 09:16 PM

I'm not sure .... presumed consent .. has been brought in yet. It's one of May's brainwaves to introduce it though.

In essence, if you don't opt out you'll be assumed to have opted in.
Currently a relative can block organ donorship even if the deceased had carried a card, next of kin rights.
Concerns are already been raised that under the new method relatives will have no say.

I'm against it myself and will definitely take steps to opt out if and when it is introduced. A goverment has no right to presume anyone's wishes in such a serious matter.

Mean? Possibly. But that's how I feel, and for the same reason I wouldn't want a donated organ myself. To me it would feel creepy having someone else's bits inside me.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 09:30 PM

I am against it. I do not think it’s right that I HAVE to opt out and the Government can decide to use my organs if I don’t do that.
Ok, I understand that there are thousands of people awaiting transplants, but will this new law turn the NHS into a transplant farming industry? What will they do with all the organs they have taken that are not required, sell them on? Highest bidder from a foreign country?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 09:38 PM

I'm bot sure if I'm in favour of implied consent, but it bugs me big time that N.O.K can block a potential doners wishes

I've always been on Donor registers, been a blood donor when I was able However Mr Missy doesn't believe in it and says if I pop off before him, he will refuse consent

I've told him if he goes first, I'm giving his whole body up for harvesting, then getting the remains cremated

All joking apart , it does upset me that my NOK can over ride my wishes in this
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 09:39 PM

It should be "opt in" only, imho.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 09:47 PM

At risk of sounding overly sceptical and cynical ... how will they know if anyone has opted out ?

Will you carry a card refusing your bits?
Or .. let me guess .. it'll be on a database somewhere and
the government minions (NHS) will be responsible for ensuring that is secure and is kept up-to-date.
A real confidence booster.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

19-12-2017, 09:55 PM

Their track record with computers doesn’t fill me with great deal of confidence either....but will the next step be the removal of the NOK permission ?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Their track record with computers doesn’t fill me with great deal of confidence either....
.............neither does some of their treatment!

I'm told organ donation can be extremely distressing for the next of kin : keeping the donor alive for hours after being pronounced dead until the organs are harvested!

Could be harvest to order.............

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top