Join for free
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Laptop advice please

I need a new laptop. Having to do everything from home, grocery shopping, banking etc I rely on my laptop.
I read about Chromebooks, apparently they don't seem to get a virus or malware. I was wondering if anyone had experience of those or any recommendations for another kind. The Mac/Apple ones tend to be out of my price range.
Thanks.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:49 PM

Re: Laptop advice please

Have you thought about a refurbished one
Link

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=re...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:52 PM

I like my iPad for everyday use but still have a laptop as I like to type emails and longer documents. I’ve always found Dell to be good, reliable and the basic ones are reasonably priced.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by callistra ->
I need a new laptop. Having to do everything from home, grocery shopping, banking etc I rely on my laptop.
I read about Chromebooks, apparently they don't seem to get a virus or malware. I was wondering if anyone had experience of those or any recommendations for another kind. The Mac/Apple ones tend to be out of my price range.
Thanks.
If I was looking for a new Laptop I'd go for a 64 bit Toshiba with a minimum of 8GB RAM and USB 3.0 ports.

Windows 10 64 bit would be the required platform.

If not the above, I'd go for a Lenovo.

You're right about the cost of Apple stuff. You'd get two of the above for the price of 1 MAC.

There are cheaper laptops, than Toshiba, but you get what you pay for.
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the advice. Tedc I will look at the Toshiba. I noticed in various online stores, there are certainly plenty Lenovo. The update to Windows 10 would be useful too, mine is Windows 8.
I have seen Dell on TV programmes and I know they are popular in the Business world. I will check those out too, Val thanks.
Its the thought of something new. I am not the most Technologically savvy. But needs must.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by callistra ->
Thanks for the advice. Tedc I will look at the Toshiba. I noticed in various online stores, there are certainly plenty Lenovo. The update to Windows 10 would be useful too, mine is Windows 8.
I have seen Dell on TV programmes and I know they are popular in the Business world. I will check those out too, Val thanks.
Its the thought of something new. I am not the most Technologically savvy. But needs must.
If I bought a Dell Laptop I would make sure it already had W10 installed.

Reason I say that is because it has been alleged that some Dell laptops were not compatible with W10 unless the basic BIOS could be updated. Apparently you can type the Dell laptop model into the web asking if it has W10 compatible BIOS. I would certainly want to do that before I would buy one with, say, W7 installed.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top