Join for free
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 07:51 PM

Bulbs and Dogs: A True Story

I had a friend whose grandmother, having spent 50 years tending a small family farm, had never gone on a lengthy vacation.

My friend convinced her that she diligently would take care or her farm animals - the horses and chickens, ducks and goats - along with her prized flower garden while she was away... if she would just agree to go.

As the date neared, my friend went out to the flower garden with her grandmother and her lively Australian shepherd, while as she was given instructions and the grand tour.

When her grandmother reached to the edge of the bed, she pointed out the location of her most prized bulbs and how they needed special care. Her favorites were bulbs that were sprouting exceptionally beautiful, almost iridescent, blue-green stalks. My friend agreed to do whatever was necessary to tend the flowers.

Each day my friend would take the dog out to the garden where she watered and weeded the garden, and took special care with the bulbs, especially the flowers with the blue-green stalks.

After the better part of a week, she realized that the prized bulbs actually hadn't grown and were beginning to look a bit sad. So, she decided that to prevent her grandmother from becoming upset, she would replace the bulbs with a similar but hardy replacement.

With the dog excitedly circling about her as she worked, she reached down and began to pull the bulbs, but the would not give way. Harder and harder she tugged, but with no luck. Not only had these special bulbs been exceptionally beautiful, they also had extremely sturdy root systems.

Finally, loosening the soil with a spade, she reached down and tugged with all of her might. Alll at once, the stalks gave way and she fell back on her bottom as the dog raced towards her...

But what she held in her hands, and had lovingly watered and tended, was not the stalk and bulbs....

But the tail feathers of a dead and buried....

rooster.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 07:56 PM

Re: Bulbs and Dogs: A True Story

Lovely story .. and I never expected the ending.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 08:10 PM

yuk......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 08:15 PM

Great story Surfermom ..... and quite an unexpected ending
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 08:18 PM

good one

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top