Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 07:54 PM

Re: Tin Foil Hat On Your Router For Faster WiFi? Is This Daft?

Oh come on surely you all wear tin foil hats to protect you from Alien's reading your mind.

From the film Signs with Mel Gibson. I made one immediately after watching the film.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 08:59 PM

Realist is right Longdogs, I never turn mine off I've just made a little fireproof enclosure in the loft and I can even use my netbook down the yard in the summer house. My first router was supplied by Virgin, I didn't know it then but it was crap. I only realised how bad it was when I changed my provider to BT and received their infinity router. It really is the dogs wotsits....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This is a bad idea mate.

Routers are designed to be permanently switched on.

When you switch it off, the BT switchboxes/junctions and your broadband supplier think there is a problem on the line. Their systems constantly monitor this stuff.

When they detect a problem, they automatically throttle back your broadband speed (hoping that this will make a more reliable connection).

Every time this happens, it takes 72 hours (3 days !!!) of the router being permanently switched on again before it rebalances and restores your speed.

So you should be experiencing pretty crap broadband speeds if you've been switching the router off every day.
Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Realist is right Longdogs, I never turn mine off I've just made a little fireproof enclosure in the loft and I can even use my netbook down the yard in the summer house. My first router was supplied by Virgin, I didn't know it then but it was crap. I only realised how bad it was when I changed my provider to BT and received their infinity router. It really is the dogs wotsits....
Thanks both. I hadn't thought of that. I remember when first installing they said that the speed would improve after a couple of weeks Ok, it never did but perhaps I am making things worse. Sometimes I just turn it off out of frustration - stops me smashing it with a club hammer.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 10:09 PM

If we want to send a radio signal out into space a reflector is used to focus the signal.

Also, with Radar, the signal can also be focussed that way.

So, subject to frequencies, the tin foil possibly works for wifi.

However, i'd be cautious because, taking another example, if you wrap your meat up in tinfoil, and then put it in your microwave, all hell breaks loose.

So, it might be safe - but I'm not about to risk my life on it!

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks both. I hadn't thought of that. I remember when first installing they said that the speed would improve after a couple of weeks Ok, it never did but perhaps I am making things worse. Sometimes I just turn it off out of frustration - stops me smashing it with a club hammer.
Is a 'club hammer' just several Lump Hammers Longdogs....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-11-2017, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
If we want to send a radio signal out into space a reflector is used to focus the signal.

Also, with Radar, the signal can also be focussed that way.

So, subject to frequencies, the tin foil possibly works for wifi.

However, i'd be cautious because, taking another example, if you wrap your meat up in tinfoil, and then put it in your microwave, all hell breaks loose.

So, it might be safe - but I'm not about to risk my life on it!

Perhaps you could improve the signal of your router by putting that in the microwave...
Only joking.......Don't try that at home folks.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Is a 'club hammer' just several Lump Hammers Longdogs....
Yes, the club is very popular.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top