Join for free
Calcio2
EU ireland
Calcio2 is male  Calcio2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 10:00 PM

Last windows 10 upgrade offer to end soon

It appears Microsoft is ending the last opportunity to avail of a legit free windows 10 licence on December 31 .The official deadline expired on July 2016 but Microsoft kept the door ajar for any one using" assistive technologies".I have used this path on many occasions and it will be sorely missed. Anybody still on the fence about upgrading would want to get their skates on before the end of the year,or else have to pay for a licence after this date. Sorry everyone pressed the submit button on my phone twice,this thread has been posted twice in error,
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 09:11 AM

Re: Last windows 10 upgrade offer to end soon

I resisted the upgrade for ages having listened to horror stories about W10 from friends who have used it. Eventually I had no choice as my lovely steam driven PC finally expired.

Took the plunge last week - took an instant dislike to it at first because I could not find anything - but - with help and advice from OFF members - I am now quite enjoying using W10 !

If you have the chance of a freebie upgrade - go for it !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Calcio2 ->
The official deadline expired on July 2016 but Microsoft kept the door ajar for any one using" assistive technologies".
lol Calcio

MS want as many people on W10 as humanly possible because it's a major move for them to seize control of the whole platform and be able to control people's PCs imo. Hence with W10 you can not refuse updates, MS are in control and they force those updates down the line one way or another. That in turn will imo lead to MS greatly changing the platform in the future. Phase 1, this rollout, ensures that THEY establish that controlling platform and from there they can do anything they like.

With Win 7 the USER was in control. The user could refuse updates. The user could do whatever they wanted to their PCs. Hence, with Win 7, MS could not progress towards the platform they really want, which I believe will be one that becomes a selling platform, targeting adverts and apps to users and finding ways to make lots of money. No thanks.
I will remain in control of my PC. I will not relinquish that control or be hoodwinked by the ruse of a "get the free update to W10 quick before it runs out" which is of course complete Billy BS.

Originally Posted by Calcio2 ->
Anybody still on the fence about upgrading would want to get their skates on before the end of the year,or else have to pay for a licence after this date.
This type of induced panic strategy is as old as the hills. Every salesman, every retail outlet uses it. Yes MR Customer it's a great product but you HAVE to get in quick because this offer isn't going to last. How many DFS adverts have you seen say the same thing over and over and over?!!

You'd have to be completely naïve to not see what is going on here imo.

MS absolutely want you on W10 so that they are in control. They will do anything and everything to achieve that so NO, the free upgrade path isn't going to expire any time soon imo. MS are always going to provide a route for people because THEY WANT YOU ON W10 !

One only has to look at the nefarious and blatantly totalitarian method they used to get people to W10 to see this. They didn't ask people if they wanted W10. They just constructed a Windows Update that was pretty much a virus and sent it down the line to people's PCs. Once done those users found it incredibly difficult to avoid the upgrade. Their machines were constantly popping up windows and giving the user time limits to upgrade. You had to be fairly IT literate and do some digging to find out how to get rid of that viral update and restore a PC back to how it was.

Now I ask, was that strategy, that "bully boy" method of implementation one that suggests W10 was a good thing?

I'd say categorically no. If W10 were good and attractive then people would have asked to be upgraded, they would have paid to be upgraded.

MS abused their Windows Upgrade utility by using it to send a targeted program down the line which pretty much forced people to go to W10. An absolutely shocking and rather disgusting approach of Orwellian proportions.

So, thanks for the warning Calcio but forgive me if I take not the least bit notice. I will stay in control of my PC thanks, I will stay on the robust and good Win 7 operating system on which I have chosen to disable Windows Updates.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 01:18 PM

Cannot see any problem with it at all.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top