Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 12:58 AM

Letter from the TV Licence people.

In a week where we read that the DVLA have lost an estimated £107 million on car tax because they removed tax disc's I have to wonder if the stupidity isn't spreading.
Today I recieved a letter from the TV Licence people telling me that I can now go online and print out my TV Licence.
In their words "Getting your licence by e.mail means we use less paper and have more money for programmes (and paying massive contracts to worthless talk show hosts.)
The last bit in brackets is my own personal added bit.
Anyways there I am reading this, yes a good idea I think to myself save the trees save the planet and all that green stuff.
Then I look inside the envelope and there is another peice of paper saying Turn your TV Licence into a swan.?
What is this I wonder and on oneside of this glossed paper is pictures of how to make a swan out of the paper by doing that Arrygarmy stuff something we were taught in junior school.
Then I laugh show it to the missus and we both chuckle.
I believe "They are taking the p*ss" were my exact words.

Save paper and save money.
I am wondering how much did it cost to print and gloss this piece of paper only to make a swan and then throw it in the bin.
They might just as well have sent me my TV Licence after all it is normally a much smaller piece of paper.

The world has gone mad and I am thinking of joining it.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 01:48 AM

Re: Letter from the TV Licence people.

First of all, TV Licencing is a private company called Capita who have been contracted by the BBC to collect TV licence money.

They are not the BBC.

They are not the UK Government.

They are the same private company previously employed to collect the dreaded Poll Tax.

They are the same company that own Parking Eye, an unregulated private parking company that takes tens of thousands of people to court every year.

Please do not associate TV Licensing with any TV programme you watch. It is effectively a (very vicious) payment collection company, nothing more and nothing less.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 11:39 AM

Harsh words I suppose you have been on the recieving end of one of their actions..

If you read the post again you will see I wrote only what was printed on the paper (We use less paper and have more money for programmes.)

You are missing the whole point of the post but I suppose its my own fault for posting to a fruitcake.

WHAT'S THE POINT OF GOING PAPERLESS IF THEY ARE SENDING OUT COSTLY GLOSSED AND PRINTED WASTE PAPER TO MAKE INTO SWANS.
IT DEFEATS THE WHOLE IDEA OF SAVING PENNIES BECAUSE IT ENDS UP COSTING MORE.

Has for mentioning the BBC "WHICH I DID NOT" if you can find that apart from my added little piece ( paying massive contracts to worthless talk show hosts.) I will be suprised.

In the meantime onward and upward said the vicar to the choir.
I now have a full day ahead of me church birthday party loads of driving.
Tatty bye
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 12:00 PM

@ LF,
I got my Email to say im covered to next November ,I went paperless sometime ago, and dont get anything through the post.
Seems like theres a mix up in your case .
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 02:13 PM

I don't have either a TV or a licence.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 02:16 PM

That's hilarious LF, particularly the origami bit.

I don't know about anyone else but whenever I print out a document, I always get the page with one line of type on it, so that's not really saving paper.

I suppose if the TV licensing people ever knock on your door, you could tell them you turned your licence into a swan and it flew off.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 02:26 PM

With mum being 79 we don't have a licience
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 03:10 PM

It's council drives us mad, they send a joint letter to us both, then day latter one to me and as an afterthought one to my husband all with exactly same letter inside the envelope. Then they say the council tax has to go up well looking at waste of paper and amount it costs to send the letters I'd say we know why.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 03:16 PM

The mind boggles!
When I read your post about turning your TV Licence into a swan, I did wonder if you'd been at the Christmas sherry but I couldn't gloss over this intriguing snippet of info and let it sail past me without trying to make sense of it.

Sir, you are not the first to wonder at the lunacy of those who produced this pointless paper-wasting origami instruction - I found a Freedom of Information request from an indignant licence holder, asking how much it had cost to produce and publish this leaflet.
The BBC reply was just as bizarre as the leaflet itself.
I attach a link to it - but if you can't be bothered to read all that waffling drivel, I have provided a de-waffled summary of their response:
"We do know how much it cost but we're not telling you."

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ponse.pdf.html

My mind is even more boggled ... I should feel despair but I just couldn't help laughing.
My googling quest for info even turned up a video showing a journalist following the instructions he was sent and making a paper swan out of his TV Licence. It started out looking like a drab ugly duckling of a TV Licence but, after a few deft folds, it turned into a very fine swan indeed.

Now then, I bet I'm not the only one to still have a fistful of old tax discs in the glove box of my car. If only the DVLA had sent us some origami instructions, we could have turned them into something really useful ...
any suggestions? ...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I don't have either a TV or a licence.
Neither do I.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top