Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 03:54 PM

My Camelia has problems again.

Below is a picture of one of my Camelia flowers from last year. They all looked like this when they opened up - brown & horrible and they dropped off within 24 hours!

This year I was determined to have healthy flowers. I moved the pot to a sheltered position next to the house wall and I wrapped the pot in bubble wrap.
Guess what - I've had the first flower open up today - and it's showing tinges of brown round the edges - not quite as bad as the picture below but will probably turn like it.

I don't know what to do for it now - I'm feeling quite dejected.

Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 04:08 PM

Re: My Camelia has problems again.

I think its rain damaged,use to see that on Carnations.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 04:08 PM

It looks as if it's got cold to me.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 04:11 PM

Mine's still in bud Carol, but looks quite healthy so far. It lives in a pot next to the house wall but I've never wrapped anything round it. Its sad when you nurture a plant all year and it lets you down and they are so beautiful when healthy and in flower.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 04:23 PM

They don't like the cold or frost followed by the early morning sun. Can you shelter it from both?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 07:01 PM

It must be weakling variety - I used to have one years ago in a pot in the same position and never had this problem with it. Thanks for your answers. Next year I shall cover it with horticultural fleece as well as bubble wrap the pot.

In the meantime I've a bush of horrible brown flowers to look forward to - just like last year!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 08:48 PM

Needs to go to bed then, a flower bed and call the DR.

Just popped into the garden and took this with flash gun on camera

So Carol you are welcome to come and take a cutting Sue is going to cut a bit back to make room for the greenhouse
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 12:01 AM

Carol, if I were you I'd have a look at the RHS website, they've got loads of information and advice on problems there. I had a quick glance, and it says it's usually frost or a fungal disease, but have a read and you'll see.
I do know you have to keep them well fed and watered (rain water only) during summer and early autumn, while the buds for the following year are forming.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 12:05 AM

Charlie Windsor has trouble with his Camelia. At least I think it was his Camelia
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 02:20 AM

Take any flowers that have brown on them and BIN them don't compost them. Clean up any fallen flowers and bin them too. Clear out as much of the top of the pot as you can and bin it and replace with ericaceous compost and an ericaseous feed. Ensure the pot is facing west in the winter(They don't like flower buds thawing too quickly)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top