Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 06:07 AM

Re: My Camelia has problems again.

They hate the morning sun. Mine used to brown like that if they got the sun in the morning.(don't get frost)

Funny thing is though my tea plants don't seem to care but the ordinary camellias were very sensitive to sunlight especially in the morning.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2015, 01:00 AM

I'm so pleased. Today another flower has opened up and it's a perfect pink - no brown spots in sight. Fingers crossed that I will get at least a few perfect flowers..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2015, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I'm so pleased. Today another flower has opened up and it's a perfect pink - no brown spots in sight. Fingers crossed that I will get at least a few perfect flowers..

How come your white camellia has turned pink?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
How come your white camellia has turned pink?

Look at the OP again Mups. It's definitely pink.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 01:16 PM

Carol the most likely cause is frost on the buds, is the plant in a place where it catches the sun early, as a combination of frost and sun on the plant damages the flowers.
They should really be planted in shade.
It's not the only cause but the most common one I think.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

24-03-2015, 07:03 PM

After a few brown flowers opening I'm pleased to say the rest look healthy.
Here's a pic I took of it yesterday - still in it's bubble wrap!

Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 07:23 PM

It looks gorgeous Carol, love the colour, it was probably where the frost caught the early buds.

Maybe make sure it's not catching the sun.

Will have to try to post a pic of mine which is white.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

24-03-2015, 07:29 PM

Thanks Anita -It's such a relief - last year every flower that opened up was brown and dropped off.

First thing I did was move it to a more sheltered position near the wall. Then applied pebbles as mulch & bubble wrapped the pot. I've never fussed over a plant so much.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 08:19 PM

I've got camelias all over the place here. But one rather sad one which took the brunt of last year's storms - it's flowering prolifically on one half, but the other side which was blown almost to death last year is just regaining its leaves. Wonder if it will flower next year? Similar problem with a berberis, but I think that's recovering more quickly.
Anita
Midlands, UK

24-03-2015, 09:55 PM

They are so beautiful that they are worth the effort, it's the frost catching the buds that's the problem. It's like the magnolia when the beautiful blossom gets frosted.
Not letting the camellia get any sun does help a lot even if it gets a bit of frost.
It's weird to think that the sun is what causes the problem.

I love berberis too orangutan but think they are pretty robust, hope yours recovers ok.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top