Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 07:11 PM

Re: My Camelia has problems again.

I must admit I had never had a Camelia in my garden before last year when a friend bought me one as a thank you.
I really had no idea how to treat it so I stuck it into a large pot and watched it.It never seemed to grow it had loads of buds on it that never opened and I never saw any leaf growth. At one point I said to my friend are you sure its real. lol Anyways about 4 weeks ago it just bloomed deep pink and its covered in flower and there seems to be no letting up as one dies off another appears. Gonna look for some more for the front garden it certainly brightens up the garden this time of year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 11:07 PM

They are lovely flowers aren't they Longfellow. I find with mine, as long as I use good quality Ericaceous compost and feed, water with rainwater, and keep the early morning sun off the buds, they thrive.
Oh, just one other thing to look out for if they are in tubs - Vine Weeval.

Little blighters got one of my beautiful Rhodedendrons last year and started on a Camelia as well. The grubs live under the compost and eat away at the roots, so killing the plant if you're not careful. They particularly like Camelias and Rhode's I am told.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 07:50 PM

Thanks for that info Mups
I will be transplanting mine into a bigger pot soon the flowering is all but over and the buds for next years are sprouting (I presume).
Has for the morning sun I will make sure of a nice shady morning spot. It is in the middle of my yard on the decking at present were it gets a lot of wind. Will look into getting whatever is needed to keep vine weeval away any names would help or I could just browse it I suppose.
Thanks again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 11:20 PM

Hi Longfellow, when I had a problem with vine weevil last year, I used Pravado Vine Weeval killer, but keep any pets away from it. There are biological control but you can only use them if the temperature is over 5 degrees because anything colder will kill the little little critters instead of the vine weevil.
Don't let the compost dry out when the buds are forming and swelling for next years blooms, and I feed mine fortnightly during the spring and summer with ericaceous feed.
They don't need huge pots (depending on plant size of course), because they don't have deep tap roots, they are only shallow rooted, that's why I put a 2" or 3" bark mulch over the soil surface before winter to try and stop the roots getting frosted, as they are quite near the surface. Good luck.
longfellow
Chatterbox

05-04-2015, 09:58 AM

Cheers Mups for the info will pop on Amazon later and order the feed and checkout the Pravado Vine Weeval killer. I have a safe spot that my dog doesn't go in the yard as for the neighbours cats well on their own heads be it..lol (sorry cat lovers)

The only pest I have had these past few years is a bright red beetle that chews up the leaves of my Asian lilies . Every year I stand prepared ready to grab the little bleeders but no matter what I still end up with plants all chewed up any help with this would be much appreciated before the lilies start showing.
Just been reading about these Scarlet lily beetle on wiki and they are apparently a hardy foe, don't want to harm other insects like bees and flutterbyes so I reckon its back to the jar and soapy water..lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_lily_beetle
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Bravado bug killer. Spray them at night so you don't spray the good guys. The plants take it in and poison the bugs eating the plants
longfellow
Chatterbox

05-04-2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
Bravado bug killer. Spray them at night so you don't spray the good guys. The plants take it in and poison the bugs eating the plants
Thanks will get that from BQ on Wednesday if they have it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-04-2015, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->

Personally, I prefer the actual Vine Weeval killer, because its a liquid you have to drench the soil with, and this is where the pesky grubs are living, not on the leaves above ground. The chemical stays in the soil for several months, and is gradually absorbed and taken to every part of the plant.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top