Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 08:31 AM

Re: Grumble's little greenhouse

The greenhouse is not in an ideal position and gets limited direct light, but the wall is south facing and well sheltered. The problem here is that the garden is fairly exposed and we get some very high winds. Bad area for greenhouses, so we have a poly tunnel in the garden and I'm making some cold frames which will also be south facing.

Back garden - oldish photo and the hedge has grown quite a bit.

Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 08:37 AM

A lovely pic Grumble. What lovely views you have.
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 09:41 AM

Is the polytunnel getting replaced by the greenhouse? My daughter's in-laws have tried plastic greenhouse and polytunnel but they live in a fairly exposed area and neither have been a success. They are about to get a greenhouse.

Too much direct sunlight you would probably need some sort of shading anyway, so it might work in your favour to have a bit of shade. I have some knitted windbreak mesh lining the inside of the greenhouse roof even although the greenhouse is not over exposed part of the time, it saves getting leaf burn.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 10:02 AM

Brilliant George just the job...
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 12:02 PM

"Is the polytunnel getting replaced by the greenhouse?"

No, it's a bit small for all the tomatoes and salad veges that we grow. Dianne hopes to grow chillis and herbs that need a bit of warmth.

Here's a pic of the potting shed which is another example of recycling.
Two reclaimed windows, scrap timber for the frame, scrap corrugated sheeting for the roof - only the wood for the walls and door are new!

A different view of the garden and polytunnel - in winter.

Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 12:42 PM

Gold star for inovation Brilliant
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

22-03-2015, 01:28 PM

Forgot to add that to the left of the potting shed are two compost bins made from old wooden pallets. I'm a bit of a DIYoholic and I hate to throw away anything that I think might be useful. We also have three water butts to collect rainwater, although there's no water metering here.
Dozeymare
Kent, UK
Dozeymare is female  Dozeymare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 10:41 PM

Any chance of popping down to Kent Grumble? I desperately need your expertise in my humble patch!... Love the idea of recycling old palletts tho I wouldn't know where to get some from... Saw a thread on Pinterest of using them upright as a form of outdoor shelving... If only I could upload an image... Have used a couple of tyres stacked up to make a bed for a raspberry cane... Was successful although my chooks devoured the crop!!! I love your view!
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland

25-03-2015, 11:28 PM

There's lots of uses for pallets, I've been drooling over some of the ideas http://themicrogardener.com/20-creat...n-your-garden/ I had some discarded pallets sized up for reuse but my partner dragged his heels for weeks and when we went to pick them up, they were gone.
Dozeymare
Kent, UK
Dozeymare is female  Dozeymare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 06:59 AM

Thank you for that link Freshfields... Some really fab ideas on there... Will keep my eyes open for skips to find one.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top