Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 03:01 PM

keeping birds off veg/flower plants

Try using CD/DVD discs that you no longer use or too scratched to use. Thread a bit of string through them a few inches above the plants so they swing in the breeze. fix the string on a support at each end to hold the string up.

Look carefully and you will see ones we have hanging. enlarge picture with control and plus keys
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 03:24 PM

Re: keeping birds off veg/flower plants

I bought some green plastic covered wire netting about 18ins wide from wilkinsons, cut it into suitable lengths, folded it over to form a tunnel and placed it over my veggie plants. Problem solved and it will last a long time.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 03:43 PM

Great idea Alan
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 04:50 PM

What ever you use PLEASE do not use any netting wide enough for a bird to get trapped in.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 05:06 PM

Down 'ere at the seaside, lots of people use big plastic birds, or bird-like kites to scare off seagulls etc. Guess the theory is use something birds recognise as a predator.............don't think a flying cat would have quite the same effect!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 05:12 PM

Cats were kept in trees long time ago and don`t get me started on allotments in South Yorkshire where they flew whipppets
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
What ever you use PLEASE do not use any netting wide enough for a bird to get trapped in.
I agree OG but I have been using wire netting for over 40 years and have never had a bird trapped in it.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

09-04-2015, 06:09 PM

Small mesh is fine-it`s those cheapy plastic ones that concern me.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 06:47 PM

These CD disks work great, they flash with sun reflection- cheap to use old worn out ones (zero cost)- can be used every year- easy to store- and the movement scare birds with nothing to actually trap them with.

Invaiably I have found netting used the next year is in a tangle with last years plant shoots and often with large hole torn in it anyway. We did use then long time ago but found the birds crept under the netting ends or any small bit not fixed to the earth. So why spend out when a safer free method is at hand
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 07:05 PM

I tried CDs and they only worked for a short time until the birds got used to them being there and found they posed no threat. In the end I used fine netting for the birds but the cabbage white butterflies still managed to lay eggs on my broccoli .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top