Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 12:11 AM

Lawn weeds.

What do you use to get rid of lawn weeds please?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 05:58 AM

Re: Lawn weeds.

A penknife - I dig them out. It takes about 10 minutes two or three times a year if you keep on top of it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 06:03 AM

I spray the weeds with Verdone which is a selective lawn wedkiller. We have a concentrate which is mixed with water and then put into a sprayer, but ready mixed is also available in hand sprayers for smaller lawns.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 10:13 AM

For dandelions,I get a long screwdriver push down in to the heart of the plant and then fill the void with salt,jobs a good un.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
A penknife - I dig them out. It takes about 10 minutes two or three times a year if you keep on top of it.
Me too
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
For dandelions,I get a long screwdriver push down in to the heart of the plant and then fill the void with salt,jobs a good un.
Thanks Barrie I will try that on the thistles which proliferate here because the farmer is too lazy to cut them back
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I spray the weeds with Verdone which is a selective lawn wedkiller. We have a concentrate which is mixed with water and then put into a sprayer, but ready mixed is also available in hand sprayers for smaller lawns.

Barry, is Verdone safe around pets? What do you do about your dogs?
I always worry about chemicals because of the pooches.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 02:27 AM

For broad leaf weeds I use a special tool with a fork at the end, drive into the ground just beside the root then push down on the handle and the weed comes up root and all. Best done when the ground is wet.

I think the tool cost about $3, it's like this one but stronger with a smaller fork part

For clover I use Bindie spray which obviously kills bindies as well though I rarely get them in my lawn.

Onion weed I have given up on and just hope people don't notice
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Barry, is Verdone safe around pets? What do you do about your dogs?
I always worry about chemicals because of the pooches.
I use a fine spray Mups that is targeted at the individual weeds rather than spraying indiscriminately, I keep the dogs in whilst I do it and it is harmless to animals once dry. I have used this method for years and never had a problem. We have a large lawn area so the penknife trick cutting out individual weeds is rather impractical.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 08:31 AM

Thanks Barry. I'll look into that. Sometimes the dogs eat a bit of grass, that's what always worries me. Ta.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top