Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 11:18 PM

Glyphosate weed killer

I have just read an article about this weedkiller.

A study claims to have linked a best-selling weedkiller ingredient to cancer, but the chemical manufacturers last week insisted that their sprays are safe.

The Scientists from the International Agency for Research on Cancer classified glyphosate as "probably carcinogenic".
Glyphosate is an ingredient in Roundup, Weedol, PathClear and Tumbleweed. It is used worldwide in agriculture too.

The producers of these products, Scotts Miracle-Gro deny any such claims (well they would, wouldn't they), and say:
"Regulatory authorities in 160 countries have time-and-again affirmed glyphosate's history of safe use."

Who do we believe?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 11:30 PM

Re: Glyphosate weed killer

I will stick to my organic gardening thank you
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 11:34 PM

Yes, that's got to be the safest way Meg.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have just read an article about this weedkiller.

A study claims to have linked a best-selling weedkiller ingredient to cancer, but the chemical manufacturers last week insisted that their sprays are safe.

Who do we believe?
Glyphosate 360 is my favourite gardening aid - would not be without it. I hope it doesn't get taken off the market. I wonder how it will effect the GM industry because their biggest task at the moment is creating Glyphosate resistant crops?

I was devastated when they took 2,4,5-T off the market because it was the only really effective killer of some noxious weeds and trees (blackberries etc) I think its reputation as Agent Orange during the Vietnam war probably had something to do with its demise too.

To quote Susan M in the Raw Milk topic; "it was deliciouse , it never harmed us."
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Glyphosate is effective but only use it for tough weeds where digging out would be very difficult. And everything can be linked to cancer if it`s force fed to mice for long enough.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 09:48 PM

I've just soaked weeds that are attached to the side of my house. I'm trying a home remedy consisting of vinegar, salt and a small amount of liquid soap. Apparently salt in itself is supposed to be a weed killer and can render soil sterile but that isn't a concern in this case; sterile ground will be just fine. Will wait a few days and see if anything happens.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I've just soaked weeds that are attached to the side of my house. I'm trying a home remedy consisting of vinegar, salt and a small amount of liquid soap. Apparently salt in itself is supposed to be a weed killer and can render soil sterile but that isn't a concern in this case; sterile ground will be just fine. Will wait a few days and see if anything happens.
Well sea spray here doesn't seem to kill off the weeds!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Well sea spray here doesn't seem to kill off the weeds!
Thems is salt water weeds that live on coastal areas.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2015, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I think you are right - there used to be a paver weeder (probably still is)that you could buy which was basically just that. You applied it via a watering can to a path and the liquid obviously went down all the cracks where it made the soil/sand there too salty for weeds to grow

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top