Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 05:47 AM

Re: Soon be summer

Sick of you lot with all the nice fine weather. Im still waiting for Spring to happen.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Sick of you lot with all the nice fine weather. Im still waiting for Spring to happen.
I think we had spring here in mid-April, but it's been bloomin' cold ever since. So I'm waiting too…with the fire alight this afternoon.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
You are not alone Nom, spring seems to have been and gone and we have skipped over summer to autumn here with lashing rain,hail and very strong winds .
I have just been blown across the field and got soaked with Chloe for the second time today
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 05:16 PM

Oh the joys of Spring, my cauliflower ears are sprouting hairs and my broad beans are safely in truss, my rows of varicose veins are bulging with life, and my watering can has been going all day, can’t wait for summer.
I do get envious of all you garden folks and the terms you have for everything, Phyllis is the gardener in this house, she loves the garden so I let her get on with it and never pester her.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 05:53 PM

Beautiful Agapanthus, I see you have them in pots , I tried one year with them straight into the garden, but no luck, read later on they do better in pots. Maybe next year I will give them another go. Anyway yours are beautiful.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hi Anita, I had 9 tubs of them, blues, a white and a couple of purples, but when a couple of them needed splitting this year, it was getting crazy, I had no room for any. In the end I gave about 4 tubs to a friend who loves them. I love my little dwarf white one too.
What feed do you use for yours?

The Iris's have all got some nice fat buds on them now. Mum used to have a beautiful bright canary yellow one in her garden, and I took a couple of cuttings from it before her house was sold, and I am really pleased to see they have big buds of them now, too. I shall always think of them as "Mum's Iris." I think she'd be pleased I kept them going.
We tend to just use miracle grow for all the pots and window boxes etc.
OH says that agapanthus are one of those rare plants that actually don't mind being a bit crowded, most need splitting and repotting.

The iris are a favourite too, though ours haven't been so great some years.
The bright yellow ones are the same colour as wild iris, also known as flags or flaggers. They grow in wet marshy type conditions in the wild.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 08:13 PM

Thankyou Apricot. I just wish the photo did them justice.
If you decide to try again some time, may I suggest you have a look at
www.somethingforgarden.co.uk The chap, Mr. Hoyland, breeds the most beautiful Agapanthus ever, and I have found he is the best source for advice as well. I have bought quite a few off him in the past and he is a nice man to deal with.
The website explains about not putting them straight into big pots, and what mix compost they need, and he even sells a really good feed for them.
Well worth having a look at the site.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 08:14 PM

I could probably do with a look at that as well!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 08:34 PM

I have found him very nice to talk to and most helpful, Anita.
I bought one about 4 years ago from him, a beautiful white with blue centres, (it's called Queen Mum), and it didn't flower for a couple of years, so I phoned him for advice. He didn't quibble at all, just straightaway sent me another one free of charge. I was extra pleased later that year, because the first one decided to flower after all, so I ended up with two.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top