Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 07:40 AM

Re: Is this the future for computers ?

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
http://uk.pcmag.com/news/32803/dutch...eportation-bre ................might be.
One thing that time has taught me is that predictions are rarely right and that a lot of major innovations are unpredicted or unexpected.

Just think of some that have come (and gone?) within our lifetime.

EG: Faxes & Word processing - who ever remembers reading that the major future use of computers was writing letters? driving your car, vacuuming your floor, organising your household, were common predictions but sending documents over your phone? Nope

Originally Posted by Rob B ->

It's one of what, to me, are the 4/5 big "no-no's" in science fiction.

ie ...

Time travel to the past
Time travel? ever used an Exercise Bike? a finest time machine ever invented, Time slows down to a very slow gloop, gloop... if you want to live for ever buy an exercise bike - the future stretches on before you.
Rob B
Solihull, UK
Rob B is male  Rob B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Bruce, I think the article you posted refers to so called 'Quantum Entanglement' or "Spooky action at a distance" as Einstein referred to it. It's not teleportation as I meant it though, ie. matter transmittal, it's information transfer and I can't quite see how useful information can be transferred, yes, the remote particle seems to somehow be aware instantaneously of the quantum state of the other but that's all. It's something to do with quantum wave function collapse which I don't pretend to understand. You can't know the collapsed state of the 'sending' particle before it 'collapses' so no useful information is passed, other than how it ended up.

Another reason for it being impossible is that my spell checker refuses to admit the existence of the word.

Jem, those 4/5 no-no's are just my thoughts on the subject, so you probably won't have heard of them.

The reason I say 'probably' in the case of anti-gravity is because no-one yet has come up with a Grand Unified Theory (GUT) which unifies all the 'forces' in nature; electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces, with the 'force' of gravity (strictly speaking a TOE, a Theory of Everything)

Einstein likened gravity to a warping of space-time around anything with mass, which causes other masses to follow lines of least resistance around each other. You may have heard of the classic two dimensional analogy of a ball bearing resting on a sheet of rubber and forming a dent which changes the paths of other ball bearings rolling near to it. If this is correct then gravity is not a force at all, it's space-time geometry and can neither be neutralised or reversed.

If gravity IS in fact a force, mediated by 'gravitons', then I suppose there is a chance of anti-gravity, mediated by anti-gravitons.

There are plenty of articles out there in Googleland which explain it far better than me and don't dwell too much on the maths, which I admit, is way beyond me.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 10:24 AM

Beam me up Scottie
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 09:28 AM

All we need are some dilithium crystals....and pointy ears. Engage!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top