Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:44 PM

Re: Killing bamboo

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
It's a pig to get rid of - I hope your neighbour will agree to help eradicate it otherwise it will just keep coming back from his side.
Jennifer He won't he is proud of it...

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Just a thought, can't you poison the runners on your side and plead ignorance if the thing dies
I am worried about contaminating the ground in which I grow food.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...Alan I covered the ground in that black fabric stuff and it just grew through it

There isn't really enough room to dig a trench between the fence and the raised beds which is only a distance of 6 inches.

I suppose I could try putting something thin like lawn edging into the ground along the fence.

I wonder if hammering this in would work..

http://www.diy.com/departments/verve.../315114_BQ.prd
That's no use at all Meg, the runners will go to around 18" deep....

As I said Meg, a systemic weedkiller won't contaminate the ground, it just penetrates the plant..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Your last option is to complain to your council about invasion on your property from neighbours plants affecting your ground.

Slightly different but a friend of mine had a neighbour complain about his
leylandii trees and the council came and it was agreed to have them only grow to a certain height and everyone was happy
Bazza I couldn't complain, it is a very nice young couple on the other side of the fence and I don't want 'neighbour wars'

I do talk very loudly to another neighbour about the dreadful bamboo when the young couple are gardening
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 08:03 PM

You have a bit of a dilemma then, Meg, but it's so persistent. I did have some but it was planted in a big tub so no problems and I like it but unless it was confined I wouldn't risk it again.
As Barry says couldn't you kill your bits if it wouldn't contaminate the ground. I don't use pesticides as a rule but occasionally, needs must.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

19-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Meg you really need to talk to your neighbour about this, as you undoubtedly know by now bamboo is terribly invasive and the runners are tough enough to even break through masonry! If your neighbour won't deal with the plant on his side of the fence which he should, (he could use such as Roundup which is systemic and won't harm the soil), then I would think your only two other options are to dig out and put in a metal root barrier along the fence line or just continue to hoe off the shoots as they appear, but I do hope your neighbour helps you with this.
Originally Posted by plantman ->
That's no use at all Meg, the runners will go to around 18" deep....

As I said Meg, a systemic weedkiller won't contaminate the ground, it just penetrates the plant..
Sorry Barry I missed your first post..
I think I may try Roundup then on the shoots as they come up.
As the shoots are mainly behind the raised beds I can protect them from dogs and children.

The garden behind mine is an oriental garden and the bamboos are a feature, they won't move them ...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 01:00 AM

Unless your neighbour gets rid of it you never will. I had bamboo in my garden when I bought the place took me years to totally irradicate it.

There are clumping bamboos which don't spread, you might suggest that to your neighbours as a solution because as long as they have got running bamboo so will you.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/fact-sheets/in-the-garden/other/clumping-bamboo/
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 01:41 AM

Oh gosh, I feel for you Meg.
We had the same problem at our last house.
All the above are correct - as long as your neighbour has it, so will you.
Every spring, we just keep chopping it back to soil level as soon as new sprouts popped up.
And it was every spring, year after year, after year.
I wish you luck. And patience!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

20-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Unless your neighbour gets rid of it you never will. I had bamboo in my garden when I bought the place took me years to totally irradicate it.

There are clumping bamboos which don't spread, you might suggest that to your neighbours as a solution because as long as they have got running bamboo so will you.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/fact-sheets/in-the-garden/other/clumping-bamboo/
Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
Oh gosh, I feel for you Meg.
We had the same problem at our last house.
All the above are correct - as long as your neighbour has it, so will you.
Every spring, we just keep chopping it back to soil level as soon as new sprouts popped up.
And it was every spring, year after year, after year.
I wish you luck. And patience!
Oh dear I hate using weed killer but think I will have to this time.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Oh dear I hate using weed killer but think I will have to this time.
Bamboo is hard to kill even with glysophate, you might find you have to cut the stems and paint it on undiluted to the cut. Using it diluted never worked for me I had to dig up all the roots before I eventually got rid of it.

I heard about the undiluted application on the radio and used it to kill a very persistent Wysteria but even that took a couple of applications.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

20-09-2014, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Bamboo is hard to kill even with glysophate, you might find you have to cut the stems and paint it on undiluted to the cut. Using it diluted never worked for me I had to dig up all the roots before I eventually got rid of it.

I heard about the undiluted application on the radio and used it to kill a very persistent Wysteria but even that took a couple of applications.
Thanks Bruce maybe it would be easier to move house

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top