Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 06:24 AM

Near Death Experiences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23672150 This may account for the "pearly gates" phenomenon.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 06:35 AM

Re: Near Death Experiences.

Interesting article, Alan, thank you.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 07:10 AM

Interesting but doesn't quite convince me. The scientific community spend a lot of time trying to debunk religion, but as it's a question of Faith not facts they will never do it.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 07:40 AM

Never let facts get in the way of fiction (sorry, I should have said faith !) eh Julie !
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 08:26 AM

I have never thought an NDE as being religion, it is purely a state of our brain function.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 08:30 AM

I don't think the latest research has taught us anything we didn't already know ie that when the brain is closing down the reduction of oxygen to brain cells produces dream like activity in the brain.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't think the latest research has taught us anything we didn't already know ie that when the brain is closing down the reduction of oxygen to brain cells produces dream like activity in the brain.
Well whatever happens it sounds like it eases your passing - as long as you don't have some sort of nightmare, and apparently some who have come back from such experiences have had just that . This no-doubt is where the concept of Heaven and Hell has come from, or at least it helps support it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Well whatever happens it sounds like it eases your passing - as long as you don't have some sort of nightmare, and apparently some who have come back from such experiences have had just that . This no-doubt is where the concept of Heaven and Hell has come from.
According to Professor Colin Blakemore the neurobiologist who was speaking on radio this morning the whole 'experience' last about 30 seconds.

We are not always aware of our dreams having happened until we wake and recollect them so the dying person may not be aware of anything in that last half minute. It may only be the occasional 'revived' person who is aware of the event having taken place.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
According to Professor Colin Blakemore the neurobiologist who was speaking on radio this morning the whole 'experience' last about 30 seconds.
We are not always aware of our dreams having happened until we wake and recollect them so the dying person may not be aware of anything in that last half minute.
They would be dead eventually so how would he know? The person's brain is still alive whilst it is going on so presumeably the person would .

That prof sounds a bit thick !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

13-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Well they wouldn't would they cos they would be dead, but they still are alive whilst it is going on .
...but when they are dead they are not there to recall what happened in that last half minute. We spend a lot of our sleep time dreaming but not many of us are aware of having dreamt at all until we wake up.

I guess until we die we will never know.

My sister 'died' on the operating table while undergoing a heart valve replacement. She was of course under a general anesthetic at the time of her 'death' but says she remembers hearing surgeons chatting nothing more until she came around.
She was I guess remembering the last thing she heard before first losing consciousness under the anesthetic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top