Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 06:24 PM

Re: How about this then! Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system

It was bad enough last week fasting so I could have an operation.
Last thing I would do is do it for 2 or three days. Shoot that in the
gut. We in the West are made to eat often and in small amounts.
You will find that peoples where famine exists can fast for a day or
two as that's the norm for them.
I would say that a good nights sleep is great for regeneration of the
cells and giving your stomach a rest.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Re: How about this then! Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system

Fasting is rubbish..

Like all homeopathic pills..

Every 6 months..in Tibet they apparently find a new berry..high up in the Himalayas...

Only sprouts in yeti crap..
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 11:22 PM

Well I think there is something to be said for fasting. I fast, although I don't completely go without food, but on two days of the week I cut right down on my intake and just have fruit/veg plus I drink plenty of water. Can't see it does any harm and I can honestly say I feel better for it.
Edited to add - I am used to doing this though and my system has adapted.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bluerose ->
I often fast for a day or two each month. I never thought about cell rejuvenation before. I just feel the need to give my liver and kidneys a break from time to time. Now I’m going to do some more reading on this and might even go for a more serious fast.

Thanks for the link.
Please share anything you find with us please
Bluerose
London UK
Bluerose is female 

08-06-2014, 01:11 AM

Will do. Just reading that article set me up for a water and juice fast. I call it my liquid diet, no solid food just liquids for one or two days depending how busy I‘m going to be.

I downloaded these books.

The Health Benefits of Fasting
Fasting and Weight Loss

I'll have a read and if I find anything good I'll get back to you.

In the meantime here are some links.

http://www.healthpromoting.com/learn...peutic-fasting

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthyra...andhealth.aspx
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Listen to your body, the advice given by nutritionist, eat at regular times exercise. Works for me.
Bluerose
London UK
Bluerose is female 

08-06-2014, 02:19 PM

Lilac,

It’s fasting not starving. Most people do around two or three days on liquids only. More religious types go for ten to fourteen days, and some even go for 30 days. My limit is two or thee days on liquids only, mostly water.

I buy a lot of bottled water. I’m often asked why bottled water. And I tell them about a little experiment I carried out where I filled one of my small empty bottles with water from the tap and held it and a bottled water up against my white fridge door and the tap water was distinctly cloudy.
Bluerose
London UK
Bluerose is female 

08-06-2014, 02:51 PM

Anyone interested in fasting for health won't go wrong by looking up any of these guys on the web. I wasn't aware of just how many books and information there was out there. I don't think it would be possible to recommend any particular book or website. I think it's a case of doing your own research to find what would help each of us the most.

Both Europe and America have contributed heavily to the research on experimental and physiological fasting. Hundreds of publications have been the result of this work and they provide thorough and exact knowledge regarding many phases of fasting. Among the best known research scientists who studied fasting were:

Sergius Morgulis, Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Nebraska Col ege of Medicine; Professor Child, of the University of Chicago; Herbert Sidney Langfield, of Harvard University; Dr. Frederick M. Al en, of the Rockefel er Institute; Francis Gano Benedict and Ernest G. Ritzman, of the Carnegie Institute; Luigi Luciani, Professor of Physiology at the University of Rome; and Victor Pashutin, Director of the Imperial Military Medical Academy of pre-revolutionary Russia. Other scientific studies of fasting have been made by N. Pyaskovski, W Skorczewski,, N. J. Sands, A. Cleghorn, N. Morozov, P B. Hawk, P F. Howe, O. S. Soltz, C. A. Stewart, S. R. Wreath, C. M. Jackson, L. H. Hyman, N. Zuntz, Roger et Josue, Miescher, Mansfield, Rosenfeld and many others. All told, during the past century, hundreds of scientific workers in many countries have added to our knowledge of the biological importance of fasting.

In contrast to these scientists, who were concerned primarily with developing laboratory data from studies of experimental and physiological fasting, chiefly among animals and to a lesser extent among humans, we have the other men of science who were concerned with the clinical and therapeutic phases of fasting. They supervised tens of thousands of fasts, and as a result discovered the exact effectiveness of fasting as a remedy for specific diseases. Among these physicians were many of the nineteenth century, in addition to those now practicing. They include, among others:

Dr. Isaac Jennings, Dr. Joel Shew, Dr. Russel Thacker Trail, Dr. Robert Walter, Dr. Henry S. Tanner, and Dr. Edward Hooker Dewey. The experience of these men was fol owed in the twentieth century by that of Dr. Linda Burfield Hazzard; Dr. Hereward Harrington; Dr. Eugene A. Bergholtz, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Dr. John M. Tilden, of Denver, Colorado; Dr. Wil iam Howard Hay, of Mount Pocana, Pennsylvania, and Dr. George S. Weger, of Redlands, California. Today Dr. Herbert Shelton, of San Antonio, Texas, carries on the important work, and Doctors Esser, Benesh, McEachen, Gross, and Scott are also making important contributions.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Last thing I would do is do it for 2 or three days. Shoot that in the
gut. We in the West are made to eat often and in small amounts.
Actually that is total rubbish, the human body has evolved to cope with feast and famine over thousands of years. The reason that obesity is a problem in the west is that humans have little ability to tell when they have eaten enough calories for survival.

Humans are designed to eat as much as they can when food is plentiful to tide them over when food is not available unfortunately the latter situation never occurs in the west.
Bluerose
London UK
Bluerose is female 

10-06-2014, 10:50 AM

Very true indeed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top