Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 05:40 AM

e-ciggies

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/breaking-news/uk-to-classify-e-cigarettes-as-medicines/story-e6frea7u-1226662835323

ELECTRONIC cigarettes, the popular smokeless devices used by millions of people to quit smoking, will be classed as medicines in Britain under a new regulatory system announced.

The MHRA health products watchdog said their proposals would help reassure customers about the quality of e-cigarettes, currently used by about 1.3 million people in Britain.

The government is backing plans for a European Union-wide law, which could come into effect by 2016 and would require e-cigarettes to have a medical licence, officials said.

Until then, the MHRA is encouraging manufacturers to apply for a licence, which would signal to customers that their products are safe and effective in the amount of nicotine they dispense.

(I reckon it's a good idea if they seriously wish to help smoking addicts, hope they do this in Oz and put them on the PBS)

Britain's approach differs from that of France, which last month announced restrictions on the sale, use and advertising of e-cigarettes that put them in the same bracket as tobacco.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 07:16 AM

Re: e-ciggies

Maybe because I am not a smoker but I cant get the point of these cigarettes? People seem to be on them for years after giving up the
real ones. I thought it was a short term plan just to wean you off smoking all together?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 08:35 AM

There are alternatives products on the market that give a nicotine hit if people want to try to break the habit. But it seems to me that smokers are using e-cigs as a more acceptable alternative to smoking a ciggy. Maybe they are becoming a threat to the smoking industry.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Wasn't there a report on an American piece of legislation not too long ago about e-cigarettes? It was calling for them to be banned in public places and not allowed to go on general sale; then, way down in the report was the comment that due to the success of the e-cig, revenue from taxation would be seriously hit. My guess is that it will all be something to do with that - finding a way for governments to profit from it.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 10:39 AM

There'll be a special tax on them within 3 years...put money on it.

For our own good of course
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 10:47 AM

At least if they are medically licensed they will have to test them properly, seems they have no idea what these things do to a body.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 11:27 AM

Hypocrites aren't interested in stopping the tobacco gravy grain tax
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 12:40 PM

I was in my local pub not so long ago and a guy I knew came in and whipped out this strange device - e-cigarette I suppose it was. As he didn't leave to smoke outside it caught my eye - and others too. I thought it was an ingenious gadget as it appeared to produce smoke as far as I could tell. Turns out it was water vapour. Only drawback I could think off was as he was a regular and sat in the same spot each time the wallpaper above his head might start to peel off after a while as there was a very low ceiling where he chose to sit .
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 05:45 PM

he could have found himself a niche market there as a wallpaper stripper
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
At least if they are medically licensed they will have to test them properly, seems they have no idea what these things do to a body.
Exactly Julie, and at present these 'devices' are not regulated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top