Join for free
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 12:27 AM

Old uncle Tom Cobley & ALL..............

......................All along, down along, out along lee,
For I want for to go to Widdecombe Fair,
Wi' Bill Brewer, Jan Stewer, Peter Gurney, Peter Davy, Dan'l Whiddon,
Harry Hawk, old uncle Tom Cobley and all, old Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

I came across a delightful letter in my attic & I thought it was so interesting, that I Would type it up & post in on here.

It's letter written by my late father in law, about 1930, addressed to his darling mother

It's a bit long so don't feel bad if'n you too busy to read.

Uncle Tom Cobley reminded me of this letter and the japes young people got up to in rural England in the 1930s

Sunday 31, Mainstone Romsey

My darling Mother,
Just a few lines hoping that you are feeling the benefit of the baths. Very glad to get a letter from you. By the look of the views of the postcard, I should say it is a quaint old place. Very sorry not to have written during the week only that I haven’t much time during the week after 7PM, now as you say I have got (can you keep a secret) a nice young lady, a permanent one, very nicely dressed and from a good family, & I see her most days & then takes her home on bike to Melchett Court.
Her name is Lillian. Altogether different from the other one (H) I am trying hard to forget her, but it’s very hard work, but I think I can manage it. I have told L of everything of the past. I me4an not to get myself in trouble through secrets.
Well dear, to change the subject, Mainstone is the centre of liveliness at present.
On Friday night from half past nine to midnight old Bill Offer was fighting & squabbling Bill Harrington, Harry Frampton, Dick Pragnell & the Edwards boys.
Oh dear, fighting !
Haven’t seen anything like it for a long time. Last night (Saturday) about 12 lads, under Dick’s son, plus about 20 onlookers was laying in wait for Bill. Harry & the Edwards boys. They meant murder. Really & truly,’. They got hold of Jesse Edwards & chucked him in the Test river. But they couldn’t get the others, they didn’t turn up.
Tonight they are still there, laying in wait for Harry , they are stopping any likely car. They’ll kill him when they do get him. The trouble arose out of the fighting. Harry hit Dick Pragnell when he was down .but eventually got 2 black eyes himself and ran away home, the coward after hitting a man when he was down on the ground.
It is quite a picture, all of the people looking out of the windows & no light on the bridge, only on the corner.
Well darling I can’t keep on talking about it so I shall change the subject again.
We shall both be glad to get you back again of course, when you are better.
The honeysuckle is nearly all out now & people are admiring it
Well dear, I think I will close now.
With love from your ever-loving son

Frank
Xxxxx
Ps excuse writing , it’s 11 pm
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 09:49 AM

Re: Old uncle Tom Cobley & ALL..............

And they moan about the youth today! Be interesting to look up papers of that era to see if it was news! Very interesting story Robert.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Enjoyed reading it Robert ....
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 11:17 AM

make's you think today's not that different.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2013, 06:00 PM

THank you chums for ploughing through it all

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top