Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 09:20 PM

Global Warming

I'm just watching 'Arctic Live' and very good it is too, but they just mentioned that the Arctic is shrinking due to man's impact on the environment causing global warming. In the next breath he mentions that there are unlimited amounts of oil and gas under the ice that man is seeking to recover.....
Surely, there must have been trees and vegetation there at some time to have produced the oil and gas, and if there was, the shrinking ice shelf must have taken place before without man's help? So a perfectly natural phenomenon then?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 09:56 PM

Re: Global Warming

I'm watching it too. Yes there must have been something which formed the oil.
I seem to remember something about the World flipping over every so many years, I wonder if that caused the climate change.
I may have got it wrong though.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 10:01 PM

And it's only in the Arctic? If there is true global warming, sic, I.e not cyclic, then what about the Antarctic?

Sits back with a bag of popcorn and a beer, waits for the howls of doom and destruction from the Greenpeace hippies and assorted 'experts'
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'm watching it too. Yes there must have been something which formed the oil.
I seem to remember something about the World flipping over every so many years, I wonder if that caused the climate change.
I may have got it wrong though.
Read about that too TessA, magnetic poles flipping, apparently we are overdue for one.
Shadowman
Wisconsin, USA
Shadowman is male  Shadowman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 09:50 PM

The main difference between natural swings in climate and anthropomorphic or human caused is the rate of change. Nothing in the geological records, ice core records, fossil records, historical records, etc. indicates that climate change ever occurred with the current rapidity. Since the industrial revolution the greenhouse gases such as CO2, methane, etc. have been increasing dramatically beyond what previous human populations, fires, volcanoes, etc. ever produced. At bottom line, it is cause and effect.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shadowman ->
The main difference between natural swings in climate and anthropomorphic or human caused is the rate of change. Nothing in the geological records, ice core records, fossil records, historical records, etc. indicates that climate change ever occurred with the current rapidity. Since the industrial revolution the greenhouse gases such as CO2, methane, etc. have been increasing dramatically beyond what previous human populations, fires, volcanoes, etc. ever produced. At bottom line, it is cause and effect.
That makes sense to me Shadowman I have always considered the period from industrial revolution onwards has played a big part in global warming and it is only the scientific advances in recent years that have enabled us to realise and monitor what is happening to our planet.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shadowman ->
Back in the seventies it was assumed that CO2 and other greenhouse gasses would bring on an impending Ice Age. Now some scientists believe that it will be 'Global Warming' that will be the result, when in reality they are just best guess scenarios using incomplete and limited geological records that can be interpreted to suit a theory, that is by no means accepted by every climatologist.

Consider this Shadowman:
Carbon Dioxide and Methane are heavier than air and would not rise into the atmosphere.
Assuming they did rise into the atmosphere and cause the 'Greenhouse Effect' and the resulting global warming, surely the higher temperatures would precipitate more water vapour being picked up from the oceans and the resulting cloud cover would negate the greenhouse effect. When you consider that 70% of the Earths surface is covered by water this would indeed be the logical outcome.

We in the UK are been taken for fools. Based on the theory that nobody wants to deliberately harm the planet, and throw into the mix that it will be our children who will suffer. Proven or not who will argue against Global Warming? Add to that the fact that energy companies can charge what they like and play the green card to justify it. Whole businesses have sprung up on the back of Global Warming. Solar Panels, Wind Turbines, and numerous other experimental so called sustainable sources of energy production. This is big business and too valuable to dispel the myth that is 'Man Made Global Warming' so the guilt trip is used to grease the wheels.

It has it's down side though. By putting the blame on the developed world in an attempt to make you feel guilty and cough up your hard earned brass, third world countries have seen an opportunity to receive large amounts of aid. If we are admitting responsibility for the worlds severe weather events then surely, by our own standards, where there's blame there's a claim.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 09:57 PM

It's never made sense to me at all and the idea this lite island can make a difference seems mad when so many others are causing smog and fumes. It feels like a way to tax us all rather than a true danger. If it really was us then they would be stopping the third world countries as its a danger to everyone not just them.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-11-2016, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's never made sense to me at all and the idea this lite island can make a difference seems mad when so many others are causing smog and fumes. It feels like a way to tax us all rather than a true danger. If it really was us then they would be stopping the third world countries as its a danger to everyone not just them.
Absolutely Julie, this was a report from one year ago in Greenpeace's News sheet.
We are shutting the few that we have left when there is no alternative other than buying electricity in from France.

China’s coal bubble: 155 coal-fired power plants in the pipeline despite overcapacity
November 11, 2015 - 3:00 am
by Zachary Davies Boren
@zdboren
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 10:37 PM

At least there must be more trees less at risk of being felled and growing nowadays with less paper being used due to the internet and phone texting virtually replacing the written word.
Good for trees, bad for kids wanting to actually write a physical letter.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top