Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 05:55 AM

Are we heading for Armageddon?

There is a reported decline in insects in nature reserves in Germany.

"The abundance of flying insects has plunged by three-quarters over the past 25 years, according to a new study that has shocked scientists.

Insects are an integral part of life on Earth as both pollinators and prey for other wildlife and it was known that some species such as butterflies were declining. But the newly revealed scale of the losses to all insects has prompted warnings that the world is “on course for ecological Armageddon”, with profound impacts on human society".

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...insect-numbers

The last two sentences of the report says it all for me.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 06:18 AM

Re: Are we heading for Armageddon?

Have to admit I have not seen a wasp this year, and not seen flies about for a long time. Have had lots of bees and butterflies though.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 06:18 AM

Not just Germany, across the globe according to Radio 4 last night.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Actually I have noticed very few flying insects this year especially wasps and hardly any bumble bees.

Another very peculiar thing which I have mentioned a couple of times on the Good Morning thread is practically no dawn chorus? Where have the birds gone or why have they stopped singing? Listen out for it, truly where is it ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 09:27 AM

People are starting to wake up I see ! Excellent.

How deep into the rabbit hole dare people venture though?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Actually I have noticed very few flying insects this year especially wasps and hardly any bumble bees.

Another very peculiar thing which I have mentioned a couple of times on the Good Morning thread is practically no dawn chorus? Where have the birds gone or why have they stopped singing? Listen out for it, truly where is it ?
I have heard the dawn chorus many times this year, you do have to get up early though!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 09:37 AM

I havent seen any wasps but there were and still are plenty of bees in my garden. Less diversity of birds though.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 09:38 AM

We have turned our garden into a wildlife garden so we do see a lot of bees, hoverflies - even a cricket.

I must admit though, I have seen only three Wasps, maybe a dozen Bumble Bees and enough Swifts, Swallows, and House Martins to count on two hands.

No food - no birds.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 09:39 AM

I have sen a lot of green caterpillars they have eaten all the Brussels Sprout plants.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I have heard the dawn chorus many times this year, you do have to get up early though!
I am often awake at 5am Purwell and it's there but nothing like it used to be. I have in the past blamed Red Kites for the decrease in song birds locally l know they are only supposed to eat dead creatures but that's not true.

Thing is no dawn chorus is spooky and I doubt even Red Kites could have that impact.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top