Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 10:22 AM

Wuthering Heights

Over the past few years, I have been making the effort to read some of the classics. I have now started reading Wuthering Heights and I have to admit I am struggling. I am about five chapters in at the moment and have no clue what it is about.

Who is the protagonist? It seems to change constantly and there is a lot of 'He said, she said' making it confusing and a lot of sentences that don't make sense.

Mrs LD says it's one of her favourite books and that she read it many times when she was a teenager - I don't know how she did it tbh.

I have read other classics by Tolstoy. Dostoevsky, Chekov, Cervantes etc and had no problem although I realise they were translated into English.

So is Wuthering Heights really the masterpiece that people claim it to be? If I had written that when I was at school. I reckon my English teacher would have told me to do better.

I really would like to finish this book so can anyone give any tips on how to read and understand it?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 10:41 AM

Re: Wuthering Heights

Gosh it was years ago I read it, late teens I was reading it repeatedly I loved it so much. Obviously I didn't have any trouble reading of understanding but I can't remember why so no help to you sorry. Only will say it's not a book for everyone I remember trying to get my cousin to read it and he couldn't make head nor tail of it. So I wonder if it's a woman's book more than a mans but I'm not sure why that would be.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 11:17 AM

Longdogs it is very strange that your having trouble with this great classic i have read it and totally enjoyed it without any problems. All i can say is really get into the book absorb it like a sponge. Hope you enjoy it as i did.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 11:20 AM

Forgot to add i am now reading The Old Curiosity Shop which is another great classic.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 11:37 AM

Im sure ive read it, but its the Kate Bush version i remember.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 11:51 AM

I'm afraid that puts me off Longdoggy. If I can't get into a book in the first chapter, I abandon it. I admire your persistence.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 12:21 PM

It is quite a complex story - so many characters change status and attitudes. Only constancy is Heathcliff's love for/obsession with Cathy. I have read it several times - and enjoyed it. I suppose the writing is a little naive but stick with it, Longdogs, it is worth the trip!!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 01:13 PM

This link may help, www.wuthering-heights.co.uk
Haworth a great place t to visit.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 01:38 PM

I'm not sure if I would force feed myself a passionate romantic classic like WH were I a bloke.
It depends if you're a blokey kind of bloke!

Just because it's a classic doesn't mean it's for you...I tried Moby Dick and almost lost the will to live!

Why not put it to one side and see how you fare with Lorna Doone.
You still get the wild moors and mud and so on but you might find the plot more exciting?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
This link may help, www.wuthering-heights.co.uk
Haworth a great place t to visit.
What a brilliant website! Thank you Cinderella.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top