Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 07:37 PM

Re: River God

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I agree most of his heroes are horribly arrogant too.
River God is not as bad as the insufferable Courtney sagas but the hero does and knows everything !

I wonder if the heros are reflections of what the author might like to be (Wilbur Smith doesn't sound like the sort of character i would like to meet if his comments re his own children are anything to go by )

Similarly Dick Francis also good writer but his heros are all the same tall, fit clever cool dark and handsome( Dick Francis was a little plump man after he stopped racing )

Bruce wrote:

One of the most "irritating" things about Wilbur Smith is that his characters are "manly".

Bakerman writes:

Whoa ! Whoa ! Back up ! Horribly arrogant ? Insufferable ? Irritatingly manly ?
Is it really necessary to tear down anything and everything that speaks of manhood ?
Would reading about limp noodles make some people feel more secure ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 09:03 PM

We spent a great week on The Crown Prince which was only a year old at the time and the food was fantastic.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->

Bruce wrote:

One of the most "irritating" things about Wilbur Smith is that his characters are "manly".
?
That is taken totally out of context. What I actually said was:

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
One of the most irritating things about Wilbur Smith is that his heroes are all the same - very manly and almost handsome but not quite perfect with a broken nose or a scar and the heroines are likewise almost beautiful, their perfection spoilt by a slightly large mouth or nose.
Please don't make things up it is a very poor character trait and it makes the rest of your post a nonsense.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 05:07 AM

I honestly don't see any difference between what I said and the full length version. Please take note that I did not put that sentence in quotes. I only put irritating and manly in quotes. That is the essence of the sentence. And in any event all of Wilbur Smith's characters are NOT all handsome. I invite anyone who doubts that, to read "Sunbird" and then tell us if the hunchback Ben Kazan and the hunchback Huey Ben Amon are handsome. Moreover, one poster claimed that Tiata the slave was a "warrior". Tiata was about as far from a warrior as one could imagine. Both postings demonstrate a lack of knowledge of Wilbur Smith's writings. If people wish to critique books it would help if they had a knowledge of the subject.

I was happily posting away, sharing my love of Wilbur Smith books and along come several people who seemed to be trying to pop my balloon. I am well aware that there are people who intensely dislike any article, book or film about manly men and beautiful women. That is their right. I also understand that there are people who want to change the very nature of men and women. They have a right to try.

For my part, I believe in 5 million years of DNA evolution. I make no apologies for being who I am or what I like.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 06:36 AM

Dear me no one wants to pop your balloon !
Just adding our own thoughts on his books.
The character of the many talented Taita can be interpreted as the reader takes it. Yes I said warrior because Taita was also an expert fighter who was seemingly strong and skilled even in his old age .
River God is a fairly unbelievable book anyway but that's what it is a fictional book a good read .
I have read many of his books they are mostly enjoyable despite or because of his super macho heroes ( as in the Countnays ) or in the but wise and complex Taita who rises from abused slave to councilor to rulers.
bakerman
Mexico

24-09-2017, 10:43 AM

Sorry to disagree again but Taita was NOT an expert fighter. Off the top of my head I do not recall Taita ever being an active participant in any battles.
He did, however, claim to be well versed in military tactics. In fact, I do recall Tiata saying, "I have ever been a coward". So, no. Tiata was no warrior.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 11:17 AM

to give some idea of ancient egypt building size

Ask yourself how on earth did the do it?
best seen enlarged times 4 or bigger to realise the size and height
bakerman
Mexico

24-09-2017, 11:18 AM

One final thought about Tiata as "warrior". Do people recall the incident at Elephant Island where Tiata received a basket of fruit from an unknown source ? The fruit was sent by an enemy, Lord Intef, but under the fruit was a huge angry cobra. Taita quickly leaped away in terror. But soon the cobra had Tiata cornered. A little slip of a 15 year old Lady Lostris came to Taita's rescue. She, not he, saved the day. Tiata's action were not those of a warrior. One poster, however, claimed that Wilbur Smith's heroes were irritatingly manly. Hmm. If Taita had been manly, irritatingly or not, and if he had been a warrior he would never have needed the help of a girl.
So, you see, it was the girl who was the hero not Tiata,
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
to give some idea of ancient egypt building size

Ask yourself how on earth did the do it?
best seen enlarged times 4 or bigger to realise the size and height
Blimey Realspeed, even the photograph was big, it took my netbook several minutes to load.....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
One final thought about Tiata as "warrior". Do people recall the incident at Elephant Island where Tiata received a basket of fruit from an unknown source ? The fruit was sent by an enemy, Lord Intef, but under the fruit was a huge angry cobra. Taita quickly leaped away in terror. But soon the cobra had Tiata cornered. A little slip of a 15 year old Lady Lostris came to Taita's rescue. She, not he, saved the day. Tiata's action were not those of a warrior. One poster, however, claimed that Wilbur Smith's heroes were irritatingly manly. Hmm. If Taita had been manly, irritatingly or not, and if he had been a warrior he would never have needed the help of a girl.
So, you see, it was the girl who was the hero not Tiata,
Perhaps you have forgotten when Taita leaps to the rescue of his young charges when they are battling with an enraged hippo at the very beginning of River God?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top