Join for free
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 12:41 AM

Economy 7 heating and water

After my plumber went home, for the umpteenth time, he phoned to ask me a question. 'Where is your control box for your E7 water heating?'

Me. There isn't one.

Him. There should be. There should be a control box between the switch and the elements, for you to set a time for it to come on.

Me. Nope. Nothing. Just the two switches, the overnight element, and the over ride one, for topping up the hot water.

Him. But there should be. It obviously hasn't been updated.

Me. Don't blame me, I didn't build the flat! The energy company decides when to switch the E7 on, I have no control over that.

So. Do any of you bright sparks (see what I did there?) know what on earth he is talking about?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 04:18 AM

Re: Economy 7 heating and water

I presume E7 is something like off peak electricity which is controlled by the generation mob by sending tones down the power line.

Mine is in the meter box with all the house fuses on the side of the house.

There's the meters; one for the normal three phase supply the other for off peak

The newish looking box below the fuses bottom right is the controller that turns off peak on and off. You must have something similar.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 10:15 AM

It depends on how your two immersion heaters have been wired. Sometimes, the bottom immersion heater (off-peak) is wired directly into the off-peak consumer unit so that it only comes on during specified hours and the other immersion heater (top) wired into the domestic consumer unit and can be used at any time of day.

The idea is that you get a full tank of hot water automatically every day but should you run out, you can top it back up with the top immersion heater. Is this the case with you Jazzi? If so, there's no need for an E7 immersion heater timer.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 11:42 AM

Yes Judd, I have no control over when the power company switches it on. Last night it was 11.30.

Attaching photos of my set up. First off, just the two switches in the cupboard, to the elements. (Power point was added a year ago for the pump, and actually has been useful.)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0AF57F1-1417-48CF-80A9-FFCB139BE257.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	4982  
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

24-01-2018, 11:43 AM

The meter. I presume the ‘telemetry’, if there is any, is in one of these boxes.

Name:	7522D6CD-4C00-46EF-8CDD-C0A0311ED177.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	4983  
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

24-01-2018, 11:46 AM

The fuse box. Nothing else in this cupboard.

I bought this flat from new, 24 years ago, and know every inch of it. I can quite categorically state there are no other controls anywhere. I am quite good at household knowledge and took it upon myself to learn all about it.

Name:	F5C4366C-559E-4BD1-835C-90F2DFBC044F.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	4984  
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 11:47 AM

I have economy 7 and two meters in the cupboard. I used to have a timer clock on the landing for heating water which I could set to come on at the appropriate time but it ceased to work when my neighbours son fittered a new immersion heater. I have to get up in the night to 'spend a penny ' so turn the immersion heater on then and off when I get up. It was cheaper than fitting a new clock.
My heating is also on economy 7. When I read the meter every month I send in 2 readings high/day and low/night.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

24-01-2018, 03:11 PM

I don’t touch the switch. If the water heats up in the night, why do I see the need for flicking the switch on and off? I very rarely use the booster.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 07:33 PM

The big black box to the right of the meter looks like your timeclock to turn the off-peak on and off. Can't see a separate controlled supply for the off-peak immersion heater, just your main consumer unit. Is there a main switch in your meter cupboard for the top immersion heater?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

25-01-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The big black box to the right of the meter looks like your timeclock to turn the off-peak on and off. Can't see a separate controlled supply for the off-peak immersion heater, just your main consumer unit. Is there a main switch in your meter cupboard for the top immersion heater?
I believe there are switches for the immersion. Not checked.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top