Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 03:04 PM

Re: The consequences of disability poverty and deprivation

Galty I was about to say the same as I know two people with Crohns and they work .
Perhaps it's a degree of severity .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 03:33 PM

Depends on type of work and severity I'd guess. The retraining in this country is almost nil, if you are a manual worker and become disabled you have little chance of getting an easier on your body job.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 04:04 PM

The main enemy of the disabled were those who feigned disablement to reap higher benefits. In some towns and cities virtually whole streets were on disability benefit which was obviously nonsense, hence the need to clamp down. The unfortunate consequence of course is that the innocent are often cursed with the guilty and I do agree the pendulum has probably swung too far the other way now, but the need to tackle the huge level of benefit system abuse was something that had to be done.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 04:19 PM

The problem is blaming them Barry, I know several people told tp try and get disability by the job centre because they had no hope of getting a job. Who is at fault those doing what officials tell them to or the people making those pronouncements.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The main enemy of the disabled were those who feigned disablement to reap higher benefits. In some towns and cities virtually whole streets were on disability benefit which was obviously nonsense, hence the need to clamp down. The unfortunate consequence of course is that the innocent are often cursed with the guilty and I do agree the pendulum has probably swung too far the other way now, but the need to tackle the huge level of benefit system abuse was something that had to be done.
I agree
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 05:46 PM

Hi

I have mentioned previously we have a local young Down's Syndrome couple.

They both work and will also need some support and social housing.

They are very happy that they are working.

In the local Market Town we have a lovely disabled young lady, confined to a wheelchair, with upper arm issues, she cannot lift things .

She works on the till in a cafe and has a lovely, infectious smile.

I have absolutely no issue in paying more Tax to help genuine people like this.

The issue I have is with the prats at the back.

They can work, they don't.

The system needs to be changed.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Also, a previous Labour government transferred some claiming unemployment benefit to disability benefit to give the impression that unemployment had been reduced.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Also, a previous Labour government transferred some claiming unemployment benefit to disability benefit ***to give the impression that unemployment had been reduced.

***Errrmmm - after 54 weeks on SSP and then Sickness Benefit, Invalidity Benefit was paid at a higher rate, much like ESA is now for those who qualify.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I am wondering if tm and her mob have ever tried to live on what many have coming in.
I remember a programme on Tv, it must be a few years ago now. I think it was Michael Portillo lived in a terraced house in Birkenhead to prove it was perfectly possible to live on benefits. But he was only there a week. After that he could return to his usual life.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

11-04-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by SamTheMan ->
I remember a programme on Tv, it must be a few years ago now. I think it was Michael Portillo lived in a terraced house in Birkenhead to prove it was perfectly possible to live on benefits. But he was only there a week. After that he could return to his usual life.
The problem is we could all live on £65 a week for one week it's the second week, third week, that problem with the boiler or your shoes Spring a leak that tips the scales.

Having lived on benefit previously for a year, it was easy first three weeks, then the washing machine needed a repair and it all went wrong from that point.

This time we are ok at the moment because we supplement with savings but that can't last for ever.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top