Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 05:16 PM

Re: The consequences of disability poverty and deprivation

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think the vast majority of disabled people would be in that category. My wife is disabled with osteo-arthritis, damaged vertebrae and a major heart problem (amongst other more minor issues) and there is nothing she would like more than to go back to work. Before the accident at work which initiated her arthritis, she worked as a retail manager and did several volunteer part-time jobs for a variety of charities. She has never been a lazy person and is incredibly frustrated by her inability to work due to the nature of her disabilities and the side-effects of the smorgasbord of drugs she has to take daily.
There you go! That's what I meant. There are those that want to better themselves then there are those who would prefer to sit in their armchair complaining about everything.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:09 AM

I don't know how people can survive on benefits anyway. It's hard enough to have a normal life if you have a job with a normal salary. It's hard enough having a job when you are healthy. It's like most government projects. They make a change to save money but don't put any adequate safeguards in place (because they cost money). It ends up costing more in NHS admissions or social care costs if people end up on the streets.

We cannot judge the severity of someone's Crohn's. I knew a couple of people with it many years ago but they were young. I'm not sure what happened to them but they had to be really careful with what they ate or they would be in agony. But as you age it can get much worse and the body can deteriorate. The lady I knew at uni had inherited it from her mum who was disabled as a result of the condition. She'd had parts of her bowel etc removed and had a colostomy. If someone has been deemed disabled as a result of the condition then you have to assume they have it bad. Some people with haemorrhoids cannot work. Chronic pain can be very difficult to manage especially if meds then knock you out.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 07:09 AM

Good health is a gift an Aunt of mine died from complications of Crohns she was only 27.
They didn't know how to treat it then .

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top