Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 09:58 PM

Re: So why are you all.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know, let's go on strike for more money and longer holidays..

Mups, l've had a few placards made up and we can all go on a march to 10, Downing Street for more money in our pension.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC87133A-408D-44A6-9B50-5A9FC0912850.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	5812  
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I'm lucky if I get 10000 pence, I'm not in receipt of State Pension yet and am not working either, and don't get benefits either.
Same here Susie, i get nothing and just getting by..
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 11:05 PM

I'm lucky being self-employed although it hasn't always been easy.

Have been told to investigate PIP given my health problems.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 03:25 AM

I"M NOT GRUMPY, BLAST IT!

Haha, kidding, I have a list of faults but being irritable isn't one of them. However, I not yet 65 either.

That said, my parents in are in their eighties and despite living comfortably and still independently at home - they are for the first time ever, a little irritable at times. I think it's neurological, a common symptom of an aging brain. Their physician has suggested that hey consider going on happy pills. Why not!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I"M NOT GRUMPY, BLAST IT!

Haha, kidding, I have a list of faults but being irritable isn't one of them. However, I not yet 65 either.

That said, my parents in are in their eighties and despite living comfortably and still independently at home - they are for the first time ever, a little irritable at times. I think it's neurological, a common symptom of an aging brain. Their physician has suggested that hey consider going on happy pills. Why not!
That depends, are they irritating themselves, each other ,or you.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 07:14 AM

I'm not grumpy either...but hang on is complaining that we are not grumpy mean we are grumpy

Scratches head and goes off wondering
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 07:41 AM

I recently spent a large amount of my savings to have a holiday of a lifetime in Thailand , I've saved for years and impulsively treated myself as I'll never do it again encouraged to do it by my kids . It was £2.500 all inclusive and travelling 1500 miles through the country .

Travelling with 22 other passengers most of pension age , they all chatted about their next holiday which was this year too , where they have been and where they are going , Peru , China Australia , cruising etc . They were really well off , it amazed me and I wondered how they did it , and remember it's two tavelling each time so the cost must be in the region of £5000 each holiday .

I was wide eyed with surprise , their incomes must be huge .
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 09:08 AM

Wealth is relative, to your outlook and circumstances.

When I was the spotty junior sales assistant at Grace Brothers (John Lewis) in the 1960s. the clientele included a number of titled personages
Lady Montagu of Beaulieu was one, had no airs or graces, often clothed in aged Barbour and wellington boots.
Notably from old money lineage, never asked the price of anything.

Was it JP Morgan who said "If you have to ask the price, you cant afford it"
I have my doubts as to whether she thought that way, but its a thought.

My own late uncle Joseph asked himself before parting with any cash
Do I NEED this or do I just WANT it" He never, smoked or drank alcohol, retired at 55 & spent the ensuing years' blissfully retired, & played bowls until his 98th birthday,
in Perth OZ
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 10:38 AM

The state pension is about 240 euros a week per person here, with free travel pass on all public transport, free TV license, a fuel allowance in Winter, and some home improvement grants are available.

Grumpy?, I do indeed have some grumpy moments, I wouldn’t be human if I didn’t, but I’m happy to say they are few and far between.
One thing about living in the same area all ones life is that you know most of the older folks from school days and I found that those who were grumpy kids are now even grumpier old men and women, the happier kids seemed to have come out the best in the long run, even health wise, is there a lesson there do you think?
I doubt very much if any of the oldies over here would vote to leave the EC, and all the younger ones are European minded now, they are well educated and have a bright looking future ahead of them I’m glad to say.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 11:46 AM

Many of the boomer generation have a sense of entitlement and think all the good stuff is their's by right. So despite having benefited from the housing boom, early retirement age, the best years of the NHS, grants for further education etc they still want more and more. Paid for by the next generation. And just listen to them moan, grump and feel hard done by when they don't get it.

Many hold out their hand for state pension, despite having a good income from private pensions and assets, while calling the young who pay for it lazy and condemning them to zero hour contracts and "Starting at the bottom".

I think a lot of it is jealousy of youth. It's the one thing the Boomers can't get back, despite their privileged lives. And they resent those who've got it and try to get revenge with constant criticism and moaning, labelling as "snowflake", voting Brexit etc. And by trying to bore them to death with their reactionary drivel.

Of course, not all over 65s did benefit from the good years. Many are indeed living in poverty or just above, paying rent, bills and just managing. To have £10k disposable income is luxury indeed, and I don't think those who do should be getting a state pension. Or be moaning or being grumpy.

But I don't think it's the poorest pensioners who are grumpy. It's the better off with the sense of entitlement who think the young, the Government, the country and the world owe them the life of Reilly and that every word and opinion that comes out of their mouth should be taken as Gospel.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top