Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 07:11 AM

Re: What Should You? Have You? Will You? Pass Along...

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I would love to share my love of books with someone who finds it uninteresting, and to inspire them to love reading as well - and then hopefully to encourage them to write.
Good one, Eccles.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 07:34 AM

I have always had an interest in health care and first aid...but never the desire to work in that field.
Over the years I have treated many people with minor complaints, so when I have calmed a small child with a sweet I teach them what I am doing to make it feel better..... in the hope that some of what I tell them will stay in their minds.
My biggest job was caring for 40 teenagers when their coach had crashed in the fields surrounding my house. The police asked if I could care for them till they had dealt with the more seriously injured. They all survived!

Children respond very well to this distraction from their pain & do remember, but I find that many adults don't want to learn. I would love to see first aid taught in schools.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 08:45 AM

I have always expected my children to be polite, and responsible as well as to speak good English. They have not disappointed me.

Our eldest grandson (16) is visiting us at the moment. He is making no allowances for the fact his Grandfather is brain damaged, which is great. Pitying a person is another thing I have taught my children never to do, it is demeaning and patronising.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 10:04 AM

I have passed on my knowledge of Natural History to anyone who wanted it. It is a pleasure to point out various things,and instill a desire for more knowledge of our wonderful planet.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I have passed on my knowledge of Natural History to anyone who wanted it. It is a pleasure to point out various things,and instill a desire for more knowledge of or wonderful planet.
How could you fail Nom? You attract us with beautiful photos and your knowledge makes us want to know even more.
I just found some vivid purple flowers in my garden, I didn't plant them so I made the effort to search on the internet. It is Honesty, but I have no idea how it got there.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 10:27 AM

I have passed on Centre Lathe Turning and Looking after her body to my daughter.....

She loves to keep fit and eat sensibly, but I haven't seen her do any Centre Lathe Turning yet..........
I live in hope.....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
How could you fail Nom? You attract us with beautiful photos and your knowledge makes us want to know even more.
I just found some vivid purple flowers in my garden, I didn't plant them so I made the effort to search on the internet. It is Honesty, but I have no idea how it got there.
A gift from the birds perhaps, Twink !
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

27-04-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
A gift from the birds perhaps, Twink !
You could be right but I wish they weren't so generous, I now have 4 Honesty plants growing in my garden... and they are not well placed!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I have passed on Centre Lathe Turning and Looking after her body to my daughter.....

She loves to keep fit and eat sensibly, but I haven't seen her do any Centre Lathe Turning yet..........
I live in hope.....
Our eldest daughter, a vicar, has a lathe, she is brilliant at woodwork.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 02:19 PM

Wow! Silver Tabby! I wish kids had grown up in your neighborhood. What got you interested in forensics?

Nom, Natural History is good stuff. If you take kids out and get them to notice little things and then explain it to them, fascination and appreciation sets in stone.

Teaching first aid and how to handle an emergency are priceless skills, Twink, I agree with you that all kids should have first aid and survival education.

Eccles, my grandmother inspired us to love books from an early age, not just reading but to love books as a thing - the feel, aroma, print, cover, process of writing, etc. Her books were her pearls.

OGF, you read my mind on the woodwork as I came back here to talk about it. Both you an Tarantula are wise and fortunate to pass on those skills and interests. My dad has a full woodworking shop and passed his mastery on to his grandsons who can do basic but beautiful work with knowledge and tips you can't always get from a book or YouTube.

Spitfire, I respectfully disagree with you on this . While some things just won't take with kids (my son has no interest in flying in a family of pilots), but if you approach "a discovery" (to them) with wonder and excitement, and treat what you show them like it's a treasure and treasured secret, it's pretty easy to get them excited - or at least remember it forever. Do this enough times, and they start taking on discoveries on their own. Teaching and having two of my own taught me this.

Carol, better to get them excited about floating than not!

What else? Electrical projects, photography, gardening, baking, jewelry making? There is so much talent here

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top