Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Re: What cut backs?

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I don't pay any bank a percentage every time I want to spend my own money Jem. In fact, it is the opposite - the bank pays us. Granted our income is paid into the bank each month - safer that way - and they give us £6 each month into our current account for having our income paid in. There are no charges (unless you go overdrawn without permission) so I am not sure what you mean when you say they charge you to spend your own money. Cheque books, card, direct debits, stndidng orders, transfers etc. cost us nothing, nor does the statement or on-line services and it odesn't matter how many transactions we make each month. As I said it is important to be careful and aware of what is happening and what you are getting, but I have never paid for banking services and I don't intend to. I would hate to think I had to undertake every transaction in actual cash and to be quite honest I can't see how it is practical.
Just to clarify, here in Ireland we have to pay an annual fee for having a credit card, whether or not we use it. We also pay 50cents per cheque, and there are quarterly bank charges unless you manage to meet strict criteria involving balance in current account and number of online transactions. So we DO pay to spend our own money at times. And we also have to pay an annual fee for an ATM card.
Having said that, by using a credit card I not only save on bank fees but get cashback as well, so it actually saves me money.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 03:17 PM

Thats surprising Orangutan - I hadn't realised the differences in Ireland. Does it apply to all banks - say Hlaifax, HSBC, Barclays, etc., and are these charges applied by the Irish government.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
There .... all summed up in two sentences. Now why couldn't I just say that ..... Any answers in one word only please.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 03:29 PM

I have to pay an annual charge for my Spanish debit card as well. Maybe its a EU thing. Here I have a credit card for emergencies like a large vet bill etc but at the moment it has a nil balance. Mostly I use my debit card. I've had mortgages and car loans in the past but no more thank goodness. Its really nice to have no debts especially as its tough out there at the moment.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I said ordinary people. You are obviously not one of those
Well said mall

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top