Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2012, 08:04 PM

Re: Gardeners asked if they are gay!

Blackpool "pink"? Rusty red would be a better choice of descriptive colour.

My grampy described Blackpoool as deliciously vulgar.Don't think he mentioned gay.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2012, 08:38 PM

Perhaps the gardeners in Leeds should do this around their plots.
http://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/pla...sigb=11r1ji9ls
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2012, 09:27 PM

I just went to that link Janela and a whole page of 'Gay' activities opened up, while I was trying to sort out which one to watch I got a tip on the shoulder from the wife, she was standing right behind me speechless, at last she said "Oh it's true what they say then Jimmy ducky, there's no fruit like an old fruit." I had some explaining to do I can tell you.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
The fact is that now I can't put on my christmas cards "Have a great Christmas, be merry and gay", anymore, I have always written that to my close friends, now they'll think I want to be even closer.
Jem I feel exactly like you, perfectly innocent words are being taken over by minorities and used in a way not intended. There are perfectly good words available, and what these people cannot see is that it's the way you say them that displays bigotry etc. not the word itself.

Another one that is driving me mad is addressing someone in charge of a comittee as a piece of wood (a chair) Can someone please explain to me what is wrong with chairman or chairwomen
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
It's the waste of time and money that could be used for useful projects, that annoys me. What do Brighton council propose to call people? Dear unmarried female? Or just, hello householder? Did they hold a meeting to come up with this farcical proposal?
"A meeting", now come on Janela, this would have required at least three meetings, a fact finding visit for the chairman and one or two others, (Don't know where but they would find somewhere ) not to mention some survey to test the reaction of the poor ratepayers

I think the proposal was to use only first names (What I was brought up to call Christian names) which I would find insulting, I don't really mind people using my first name but NOT the first time they write and definately NOT if they are trying to sell me something or get more money out of me.

Also I don't know if it will happen, it was reported as a 'proposal' by the council, let us hope and pray that common sense preveiled
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Jimmy, it should have taken you straight to the Gay Gordans dance and music.
I love your wife's sense of humour - your relationship sounds just like ours...but I don't think hubby gets away with as much as you do!

Yes, Losos a few meetings, at our expense and for something we all think is a stupid idea.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Jem I feel exactly like you, perfectly innocent words are being taken over by minorities and used in a way not intended.
Oh come on! That makes no sense. Nothing to do with minorities, if only minorities used a word in a new way then it's meaning would stay the same. When I was young sophisticated was defined as "having its naturalness spoilt" but I am not going to whinge about its meaning having changed even if related words like sophist retain their original meaning. English is a living language and words change meanings all the time.

Another one that is driving me mad is addressing someone in charge of a comittee as a piece of wood (a chair) Can someone please explain to me what is wrong with chairman or chairwomen
Get a grip... you never use plane (a wood smoothing device) instead of aeroplane? or photo for photograph? TV, phone, bike etc. Anyway, what on earth is wrong with "Chairperson"?

Mind you if that is all anybody can find wrong with the world then life is indeed sweet.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

08-12-2012, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Anyway, what on earth is wrong with "Chairperson"?
If you have to ask then there's no hope for you
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 02:21 PM

I could say something to do with a certain plant but I won't for fear of insulting anybody.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Jem I feel exactly like you, perfectly innocent words are being taken over by minorities and used in a way not intended. There are perfectly good words available, and what these people cannot see is that it's the way you say them that displays bigotry etc. not the word itself.
I totally agree.

I was listening to the song "A Gay Ranchero" (you probably don't know it - it's an old Country & Western song) the other day and it was quite saddening to think that nobody could use that term anymore without the obvious double entendre.

So many other words have been turned into crudities and other things as well.

Why can't people just make their own words for new things rather than stealing current ones?

I often wonder why the word "gay" became synonymous for "homosexual". I know somebody who gets awfully riled up about that one because he thinks it insinuates that homosexuals are happier than heterosexuals.

I will not comment on that but he does have a point I suppose.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top