Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2012, 10:44 AM

Cameron's Christmas speech.

David Cameron thought it appropriate to quote the Bible in his Christmas speech. So much for being the PM of the UK - a country where Christianity seems to be an endangered species.

What about those with other religions, or the millions with no religeous beliefs?

Religion should be kept out of politics - just look at the problems it has caused elsewhere!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2012, 04:10 PM

Re: Cameron's Christmas speech.

I can understand what you are saying, George. Being an athiest or a Bright myself, I think we should keep religion out of politics too. But we are supposedly a Christian country and he is the Prime Minister, so we should have no objections.
Better a quote from the Bible, than a quote from, say the Koran.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2012, 04:40 PM

Absolutely.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2012, 04:47 PM

I don't see why Cameron should make a Christmas speech anyway - he is not the Queen - but if his quote was an appropriate one and in the right conext, would it matter whether it was from the bible or the koran?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2012, 06:17 PM

In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.

Mark Twain.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2012, 07:51 PM

Cameron's a politician, and like all politicians he will say absolutely anything if he thinks it will make someone more likely to vote for him, I don't really think belief comes into it... or am I being a little cynical.....
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2012, 10:40 PM

Hubby is in total agreement with you Barry.
I'm not sure why Cameron did a Christmas speech either Rena.
I think I'll get hubby a laptop for a New Years gift and then he can join us and answer for himself.
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2012, 12:08 PM

Cameron is an arsehole who has just used Christmas as a publicity opportunity. It just shows you what sort of man he really is.

I am PLEASED to say that I deliberately missed the "Queen's" speech and didn't even know Mr Slippery had tried to trump her.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->
Cameron is an arsehole who has just used Christmas as a publicity opportunity. It just shows you what sort of man he really is.

I am PLEASED to say that I deliberately missed the "Queen's" speech and didn't even know Mr Slippery had tried to trump her.
Me too matey - wasn't 'at home' over xmas.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top