Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-12-2012, 03:42 PM

When the treatment should stop

My Mother (88) has been declining in health over the course of this year, but up until March she was still permitted to drive, not something with which her four daughters were in agreement, it has to be said. Anyway to cut a long story short, Mother has had three or four suspected TIAs (mini strokes), an irregular heartbeat, and now the skin on her legs is breaking down. None of this has been helped by the fact she has been enormously resistant, throughout her life, to taking any prescribed medication, thinking a cup of hot water would cure all her ills! In the past few weeks or so she has required nursing care, something she detests. Mum realises she is probably dying and seems anxious to be gone, she just hates the dying process. From time to time she rallies and is able to access the lounge in her excellent care home, not that it gives her much pleasure, unless she finds something to moan about.

After consultation with her doctor, and taking our mother's wishes into account, the family has ensured all medication, apart from pain relief, has been withdrawn, and nothing which will extend her life will be done. Palliative care only will be given. We hope she doesn't linger as that would be cruel, and that her death will come swiftly and peacefully.

Have others had to make this sort of decision in respect of an elderly relative?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 04:35 PM

Re: When the treatment should stop

Hello Willow,
I have not - but if I were in the situation of your Mother, I would want the medications stopped. You are giving her a dignified and hopefully peaceful end - to 'this' life...
Best wishes to you - Pats
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-12-2012, 04:58 PM

My mother has expectations of an afterlife, hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

We joke my poor late father, whose grave is the otherside of the care home garden wall, is probably putting up the barricades to repel boarders! Suffice to say they didn't exactly get on, and having Mother dumped on top of him for all eternity would be a fate worse than death!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
My mother has expectations of an afterlife, hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

We joke my poor late father, whose grave is the otherside of the care home garden wall, is probably putting up the barricades to repel boarders! Suffice to say they didn't exactly get on, and having Mother dumped on top of him for all eternity would be a fate worse than death!
Hi Willow,
I can only go by my own experiences and because of them I am convinced there is an afterlife...from the age of 7 !
If they were not a match made in Heaven, there will be nothing to resume - but her 'soul mate' may be there....
Pats
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-12-2012, 05:29 PM

We were threatened with an afterlife as kids. I sincerely hope there isn't one and we cease to be when we die.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-12-2012, 05:35 PM

We were threatened with an afterlife as kids. I sincerely hope there isn't one and we cease to be when we die.
Eek - I dread to think what you have been told....
I was told - 'nothing' !
Don't worry - you're in for a nice surprise.....
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-12-2012, 05:39 PM

Well lets just say the idea of heaven and hell definitely don't appeal at all!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Well lets just say the idea of heaven and hell definitely don't appeal at all!
Who said anything about Hell.....You're based in Hell now !
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Who said anything about Hell.....You're based in Hell now !
If I am I LIKE it!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-12-2012, 05:58 PM

If I am I LIKE it!
Good for you - you're not alone gal...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top