Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-12-2012, 05:59 PM

Re: When the treatment should stop

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Good for you - you're not alone gal...
Maybe you should start a thread about the afterlife and your view of it?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Maybe you should start a thread about the afterlife and your view of it?
Not sure about that gal....I'm new - they may think me 'weird' - 'strange' - a little 'out there'.... I can assure I'm not - being spiritual is 'normal' ...goes back centuries...
I love the 'native american' culture...very spiritual..which is understandable when you are surrounded by such beauty and freedom - you are in 'awe' of your surroundings, above and below....
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-12-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Not sure about that gal....I'm new - they may think me 'weird' - 'strange' - a little 'out there'.... I can assure I'm not - being spiritual is 'normal' ...goes back centuries...
I love the 'native american' culture...very spiritual..which is understandable when you are surrounded by such beauty and freedom - you are in 'awe' of your surroundings, above and below....
If it does it for you, go for it. It doesn't do it for me.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 06:29 PM

If it does it for you, go for it. It doesn't do it for me.
There ya go - pointless and fruitless I would say.....
Each to their own....I'm just one of lifes 'thinkers' curious by nature - I guess....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 07:32 PM

My Mother (88) has been declining in health over the course of this year, but up until March she was still permitted to drive, not something with which her four daughters were in agreement, it has to be said. Anyway to cut a long story short, Mother has had three or four suspected TIAs (mini strokes), an irregular heartbeat, and now the skin on her legs is breaking down. None of this has been helped by the fact she has been enormously resistant, throughout her life, to taking any prescribed medication, thinking a cup of hot water would cure all her ills! In the past few weeks or so she has required nursing care, something she detests. Mum realises she is probably dying and seems anxious to be gone, she just hates the dying process. From time to time she rallies and is able to access the lounge in her excellent care home, not that it gives her much pleasure, unless she finds something to moan about.
After consultation with her doctor, and taking our mother's wishes into account, the family has ensured all medication, apart from pain relief, has been withdrawn, and nothing which will extend her life will be done. Palliative care only will be given. We hope she doesn't linger as that would be cruel, and that her death will come swiftly and peacefully.

Have others had to make this sort of decision in respect of an elderly relative?
To get back to Willow's mum - We are all on the road to death whatever stage we are curently at - and it is the right of the individual to decide what, when and how they wish things to be for themselves towards the end of their life. IMO family opinions, thoughts, needs and wishes are not paramount, (until the loved one becomes deceased).
I would say that if Willow's mum is able to make a decision then that decision should be hers and hers alone and she should be allowed to make all decisions freely, according to what she wants. Ideally these sorts of things are best established before a person is unable to decide for themselves and the individual must be the one who says whether medication to extend life is to be part of the careplan or not. I will concede that there are dilemmas when a person is unable to communicate, but from the part of Willow's post that I have highlighted in bold it doesn't sound to me that Willow's mum is in this situation at the moment.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Please accept my best wishes towards you and your family at this difficult time Willow, we had to make similar decisions for my father some years ago, so I probably have a good idea as to what you are going through now....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
To get back to Willow's mum - We are all on the road to death whatever stage we are curently at - and it is the right of the individual to decide what, when and how they wish things to be for themselves towards the end of their life. IMO family opinions, thoughts, needs and wishes are not paramount, (until the loved one becomes deceased).
I would say that if Willow's mum is able to make a decision then that decision should be hers and hers alone and she should be allowed to make all decisions freely, according to what she wants. Ideally these sorts of things are best established before a person is unable to decide for themselves and the individual must be the one who says whether medication to extend life is to be part of the careplan or not. I will concede that there are dilemmas when a person is unable to communicate, but from the part of Willow's post that I have highlighted in bold it doesn't sound to me that Willow's mum is in this situation at the moment.
'Taking her Mothers wishes into account' - I read as her mother being 'ready'....we should all have that choice, I would not want to prolong my life when there is no life left to prolong.....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=Pats CG;229195]'Taking her Mothers wishes into account' - I read as her mother being 'ready'....we should all have that choice, I would not want to prolong my life when there is no life left to prolong.....[/QUOTE]

Neither would I Pats and I hope I am in a position to be able to decide for myself in advance before someone else has to make the decision for me. I would not wish any relative to be burdened with making the decison on my behalf if I could possibly avoid it.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Like Plantman, I too send best wishes to the family.
I went through similar with my mother two years ago. It is a very difficult time for loved ones.
The staff at the hospice were very good, kind people, they see this everyday and generally they want a pain free and peaceful end to the life of the people in their care.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-12-2012, 07:57 PM

My mother suffers from a degree of dementia, so it is up to us to make the final decision for her, taking into account what appear to be her wishes. There is no point in prolonging her life unnecessarily with medication and other medical procedures, as it is obviously a great burden to her. The medics think this is the best course of action too.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top