Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bluebell
Berkshire, UK
Bluebell is female  Bluebell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 11:54 PM

Retirement

I am still working - I'm in my mid 50s - but often wonder (worry) about retirement and what I'm going to do to keep motivated to get up in the morning. As a lot of the members here are already retired, I wonder if they would share their thoughts about what makes a happy retirement? Also, is moving to a new area to retire a good or bad idea?
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 11:59 PM

Re: Retirement

When I first retired, I hated it. I then got my Loki (Utonagan dog) - never had a dog before, and that gave me an incentive to get out with her and about!

There are voluntary organisations as well to fill in the day, if you want!

I still don't like not working though - I only had 4 jobs in my life!

I think it is up to the individual, whether it is good for the person or not!

I think when you are younger, there are more things for you to do.

Good luck!
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 12:11 AM

Retirement is exactly what you make it. There is so much on offer if you want to be busy. I retired 5 years ago and made plans beforehand. As soon as I left work I joined our local U3A and having been a high school teacher I regularly take courses there which is a delight. I'm now the President which keeps me busy too and I have made new friends and we do bus trips and lunches as well.

I also do a bit of part-time work in the weeks that parliament sits which means three days a week for about 20 weeks a year which is just enough to be useful money and keep my brain working. I also belong to the Red Hat Society - a social group for over-50s women and we go out to lunch and/or dinner at least once a fortnight. I have always belonged to a service club and am now able to do more there.

If you think you want to be busy, start making enquiries now about what's on offer in your own area. There are lots of volunteering opportunities and clubs and groups to join if that's what you want to do. Most women I know planned ahead for retirement and have found that they are busier than when they worked. I have never heard one woman say they were bored with retirement, although I have heard some men say they found it hard to adjust for a while.

On the other hand, my partner is perfectly happy pottering and reading and walking the dog, and is also happy to let me do my own thing. So everyone is different.
Bluebell
Berkshire, UK
Bluebell is female  Bluebell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 12:39 AM

I like the idea of joining lots of things that allow me to meet nice people and do something worthwhile. I just hope I can find ones that I enjoy. I imagine it's a matter of luck whether a particular group suits you or not. And where you live will dictate how many organisations have local groups.

I'm not a dog lover I'm afraid - maybe I could buy a rabbit and take it for walks?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 01:18 AM

Hi Lorna don't worry, when you retire you will find plenty to get up for I am sure .

For me there are not enough hours in the day. As many retired people say, I don't know how I found the time to work
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Hi Lorna,

I am retiring in a few months time and can't wait ! I am never bored at home. Apart from my dogs I love handicrafts and always have something on the go. Once retired I am going to put my house on the market and move to Norfolk and will probably try and do some voluntary work once I am settled. Do you have any hobbies you could expand or maybe do something totally different once you have the time.

There is an organization called U3A - University of the Third Age. It is specifically for retired people and they have branches nationwide. There is a small membership fee and they have loads of activities. I am going to join when I retire for sure. Do a search and you will find them easily. Just a thought.

Val
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 09:48 AM

I took early retirement 6 years ago so that I could spend more time caring for my disabled wife. I turned 65 this week and I can honestly say that I have never been so busy (or happy) in my life. In addition to "domestic duties" and family (we have 8 grandchildren), we also have a dozen dogs which need loads of exercise and TLC and we run a national canine welfare charity.
I loved my job (I was a street-based youth worker working with teenage tearaways, drug users, criminals etc for 35 years) - apart from the last three years when I was booted upstairs to Senior Management, but I have to say that I didn't miss it at all. When you're retired, you don't even get weekends off!!!

Mick
Calico Joe
England
Calico Joe is male  Calico Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Lorna
Don't make any decisions you are likely to regret in future months and years.
Everyone is apprehensive when retirement is imminent, but speaking as someone who has been retired for twenty years now... is is something to be relished !!
You will soon be used to it and from getting-up in the morning 'til going to bed at night, each day will be a pleasure.
You will wonder how you ever found the time to work.
Relish it, enjoy it and don't forget to be grateful for it !
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 10:08 AM

I concur with some of you others, there just aren't enough hours in the day, and we still get up at 5.00 am...

I can assure Lorna you that not one day has passed, in the four years that I've personally been retired, that have I wanted to go back to work...ever....
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 10:44 AM

I have been retired 14+ years, and believe me you don't have to look for something to do, it just turns up, like Barry says not enough hours in the day, and believe me it flies.
Soon be Christmas
Now a dog is lovely to own, but they can be hard work.
Our old business was for people who wanted things to do, wood carving, wood turning and many little wood related hobbies, and my son is managing to keep going even in this climate.
Keeping fit is a good idea, take a membership of a gym.
Good luck!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top