Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 11:13 AM

Re: Pie & mash, Sunday Roast, Fish & Chips and Yorkshire pudding

Linda, if I'm making a steak lie I always have marrowfat peas with it. I love them. My partner makes great yorkies - his toad in the hole is lovely. So quick and easy to make.

Talking about tea and scones. We have online discount companies who email you half price deals and afternoon tea deals and they are exceptionally popular. Usually in a nice restaurant, sometimes hotel. I've had a few and they've been delicious. Very dainty and look great.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 01:11 PM

Never had Pie and Mash, tend to think thats a delicacy of the Cockanee tribe.

Sunday roast not for quite a while, as im single its more a family food.

Fish and chips, once popular and cheap now expensive, and every town and city in the UK claims theirs is the best.

Yorkshire pudding has evolved, these days you get large ones filled with all sorts of foods, but for me best with a traditional roast.

I will leave the tea n scones and cucumber sarnies to the posh lot on here, give me a ham and pease pudding stottie and im a happy bunny.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 03:37 PM

Pie and mash - definitely with a big yes! My town still has a Manzes, who were supposedly the best. However, if I go to Romford I will go into a big pie and mash shop there, which is always popular.

Always cooking myself a roast dinner, but not with a joint of meat. Not cost effective living alone so I'll get varied sliced meats from the supermarket deli.

Fish and chips...not in a restaurant or seaside place as too expensive, but our Morrisons cafe do a mini meal, and is just as nice.

Yorkshire puds...always with a roast. I usually get a pack of frozen but have to buy in chilled sections ATM as absolutely no room in the freezer.

Oh, and always buying crumpets.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 04:06 PM

I've enjoyed reading each and every reply, thank you so much. I love learning and reading about these things. Oh and BowieEyes, great poem!

The eel pie I've heard of, but I was talking about typical meat pies using beef or whatever meat of choice.

Oh and I have a question.... over here we have recipes for things like Shepherd's Pie, but with different meats, even one that calls for chicken. Which, if I remember correctly, a pie made with any meat other than lamb or mutton makes it a Cottage Pie, but I could be wrong there.

Anyway, my question is, when making Shepherd's Pie there, is it really considered sacrilege to use anything other than lamb or mutton? That's what someone told me once, so figured I'd try and find out. I know the Irish sometimes use beef, but I think the Scots stick with lamb?

And pasties! I love those things. When I learned about them a few years ago (believe it or not from watching Supersize vs Superskinny) I started making them myself.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Yorkshire puds...always with a roast. I usually get a pack of frozen but have to buy in chilled sections ATM as absolutely no room in the freezer.

Oh, and always buying crumpets.
I have found ONE place to buy crumpets and that's all. Here we eat mostly English Muffins, although I've heard that many English don't even know what they are, LOL

Never have I seen frozen Yorkshire puds, but I have a recipe for them. However, I've just never taken the time to make them because it looks pretty involved.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 04:45 PM

I wouldn't bother with the Yorkshire puddings Linda, they taste just like damp cardboard.
Linda0818
USA

21-02-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I wouldn't bother with the Yorkshire puddings Linda, they taste just like damp cardboard.
Well THAT'S not good
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Well THAT'S not good
Please note Linda he is from Lancashire, they have a bit of history with Yorkshire. War of the Roses and all that.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/...ire#.mi7Z2Yrwk

Go on try a yorky they are easy to make but can take a while to perfect.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Although sometimes Scotland gets a bad press for its cooking, it has some of the best food that money can buy.
We don't have pie & mash or Yorkshire pudding, but we can buy fantastic fresh seafood and excellent meat. So, I'm cooking Haddock & chips tonight (with my special beer batter) - don't do mushy peas here. For tomorrows dinner, it's venison (roe ) bourguignon with potatoes & veges from our garden.
I don't disagree but what the heck is in those scotch pies ? my nephew who will eat pretty much anything if it had 4 legs had one and was nearly sick - so salty he thought it might be bad but the shop said no that's how the scots like them !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

21-02-2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't disagree but what the heck is in those scotch pies ? my nephew who will eat pretty much anything if it had 4 legs had one and was nearly sick - so salty he thought it might be bad but the shop said no that's how the scots like them !
Once had one deep fried when working in Glasgow, certainly an experience.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top